Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used '98 Outback, and runs fine except the headlights
seem a dull at night. My son thinks the whole headlight should be replaced, but I am wondering if it is just needs cleaning and how would you do that to make it brighter at night before I switch out the whole light and glass itself.
Also, do the fog lights have a separate switch and how to operate them? They do not go on with regular lights on. No manual with this car, and getting use to it. Own a 98 Legacy but it does not use fog lights, so learning curve.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Head lights can be polished, many stores sell kits to do so.

Might look into new bulbs if they are very dim, Google will tell you the type. Fogs may be blown, the switch is on the dash behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
Also, do the fog lights have a separate switch and how to operate them? They do not go on with regular lights on. No manual with this car, and getting use to it. Own a 98 Legacy but it does not use fog lights, so learning curve.
The fog lights work with the headlights. The switch should be to the left of the steering column (opposite of the rear defroster & cruise control switches - right side of the steering column).

I hope this helps,
Later, T.J.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
My 91 year old Mother bought a cheap tube of toothpaste and a stiff toothbrush (2 bucks total) and scrubbed the headlight glass on her Maxima then hosed it off. They look new! She was so proud of herself, she proclaimed, "I didn't have to spend twenty five dollars on one of those fancy kits either"!

One a related note, check to see if the headlight bulbs have been seated properly in the housing. Mine were very weak, once I got them reinstalled correctly the headlights shined like they were meant too.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I use the Meguiar's kit. Love it.

It's pretty much just 1000 and 3000 grit wet sand paper with a sponge back, some polishing compound and protectant, and a wheel to use in a cordless drill.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
dunno what bulb style the 98 uses, but check into Narva +50 bulbs.

just put some in the wife's Outback, seem slightly brighter than stock - hope they last.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
+1 on the Maguiars kit! depending on how fogged up they are i will also recommend a variety pack of wet sand paper

mine were so bad i actually started with 400 grit and went down the line til i hit the 3000 that comes in the kit. i almost had it crystal clear just with the sanding which in my opinion is how buffing is supposed to work. then the nice compound and wheel and they look brand spanking new. take the time to do it right the first and you will thank yourself immensely.

another thought is upgrading to HIDs. what a world of difference that did for me.
my xenon bulbs had they're own reflector shield on it and after the first test run i removed the metal reflector that is found in the OE headlamp. still not offensive to other drivers and that brightened it up about 20% more. just my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts