Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their headlight low beams pointing too high on their new Outback.

My low beams are clearly too high—this evidenced by every 3rd or 4th car flashing their high beams at me while out on the open road. I took it back to the dealer and was told they were fine (by a quick visual check by the service facilitator standing out in front of my car who also told me they couldn't be adjusted anyway). Then, on the way home, a State Patrolman pulled me over for having my high beams on!

So...has anyone else had trouble with their low beam adjustment? Are they, in fact, not adjustable? Finally, what recourse might I have in dealing with this (e.g. a
means of contacting Subaru directly).

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,228 Posts
Have you logged onto MySubaru?

Phone contact information can be found there.

Interestingly, I had a few people flash me yesterday when I was driving my '19 LTD. I wonder if this is ANOTHER problem on some vehicles? Yikes!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
862 Posts
People flash headlights all the time, thinking that modern HID, and now LED headlights are 'too bright'. Ignore them. There is nothing wrong with your Outback.
On the contrary, if the lights are bothering them enough to flash at you, it warrants at least a look over to check alignment.

I drive a lot at night and it is infuriating to me that people lift their vehicles and don't fix their alignment to match the lift.

Granted, some times you can't avoid blinding oncoming traffic due to how the road is (i.e. if oncoming traffic is at a lower height than you on a hill).

·
Registered
437 Posts
On the contrary, if the lights are bothering them enough to flash at you, it warrants at least a look over to check alignment.

I drive a lot at night and it is infuriating to me that people lift their vehicles and don't fix their alignment to match the lift.

Granted, some times you can't avoid blinding oncoming traffic due to how the road is (i.e. if oncoming traffic is at a lower height than you on a hill).
Agree totally

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
750 Posts

I'd strongly disagree. Just because a random person thinks headlights are too bright does not indicate that there is an issue. There are a lot of people that complain every time they see any headlight brighter than the old dim bulbs they used from 1920-2000. HID headlights? Oh my gosh - so bright! LED headlights? Crazy people! Going to kill someone! Total nonsense. Sure, get it checked out but I am pretty sure zero is wrong with your headlights.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
193 Posts
I'd strongly disagree. Just because a random person thinks headlights are too bright does not indicate that there is an issue. There are a lot of people that complain every time they see any headlight brighter than the old dim bulbs they used from 1920-2000. HID headlights? Oh my gosh - so bright! LED headlights? Crazy people! Going to kill someone! Total nonsense. Sure, get it checked out but I am pretty sure zero is wrong with your headlights.
Does not explain why the OP had several people flash him in a short period of time, i have LED lights on my 2019 Touring and no one has flashed me in over 6 months..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
193 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their headlight low beams pointing too high on their new Outback.

My low beams are clearly too high—this evidenced by every 3rd or 4th car flashing their high beams at me while out on the open road. I took it back to the dealer and was told they were fine (by a quick visual check by the service facilitator standing out in front of my car who also told me they couldn't be adjusted anyway). Then, on the way home, a State Patrolman pulled me over for having my high beams on!

So...has anyone else had trouble with their low beam adjustment? Are they, in fact, not adjustable? Finally, what recourse might I have in dealing with this (e.g. a
Do you have your head lights set to auto high beam mode? Stalk pushed forward? If so maybe that is not working correctly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium 2.5i
14 Posts
When I first got my 2015 OB, people would flash their lights at me all the time because they thought it was too bright. I thought it was very strange, but I no longer get that anymore (I think they were not as bright as time went on and have since replaced the stock headlight bulbs that burnt out). I expect it will happen again with the ONYX, especially with LED lights.

·
Registered
236 Posts
These lights are very bright. While following someone when we first got the car they called and said "Hey, you've got your high beams on." Nope. When we got home they again said something about the lights blinding them so I checked against a wall while we were standing there. The height looked fine and the cut-off very good. But again very bright (and wide). I've noticed the same when in front but I'm in a truck and sitting up higher so not as much but they are very bright. I've not had anyone flash us otherwise.

Did I mention that they're very bright?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’ve been flashed once so far in 2 weeks. Haven’t really driven at night though too much. They don’t seem high to me. Just bright.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
460 Posts

I've had a couple Subaru's with the newer LED headlights. And I've always been flashed occasionally by oncoming traffic. Since I drive with the fog lights on as well, oncoming drivers obviously aren't aware that if one's fog lights are on, your high beams aren't on either (On newer vehicles). They're just being rude. And Subaru's new LED headlights continue to get a "Good" rating from the IIHS, so I'm good with that. Before Subaru went with LEDs I'd always have to adjust the headlights up a little. Now they're good from the factory and no brighter than any other new vehicle with LEDs. And and as IIHS points out don't put out glare to oncoming traffic as other models do. It's easy enough to look up how to aim headlights and check them yourself, if indeed there's something wrong with them from the factory. Also the dealer maybe pushing back on adjusting them because of Eyesight.
Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
750 Posts
When a state trooper pulls you over, that says something..
Depends if your high beams are actually on, or your headlights are just bright. Being a trooper doesn't mean you you know everything, as I know first hand with several troopers and deputies in my family.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts