Subaru Outback Forums banner

241 - 260 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
160 Posts
Two questions if I may. 1) Are your 2020's lights that much brighter then your 2019? I have a 2019 and the lights seem bright, however 2020 owners seem to think they have the Sun mounted to the front. I find it hard to believe the 2020 are 2x, 4x or 10x brighter. 2) if they are the same trim how would you compare the 2020 to 2019? My wife is looking at 2020, i drive a 2109 3.6 Touring and love it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I came from an 18, which has the same lights as the 19 and the ones on the 20 are far brighter.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
307 Posts
I came from an 18, which has the same lights as the 19 and the ones on the 20 are far brighter.
I guess i was looking for specs like the 2019 are 100 lumens and 2020 are 200 lumens, therefore 2x.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Two questions if I may. 1) Are your 2020's lights that much brighter then your 2019? I have a 2019 and the lights seem bright, however 2020 owners seem to think they have the Sun mounted to the front. I find it hard to believe the 2020 are 2x, 4x or 10x brighter. 2) if they are the same trim how would you compare the 2020 to 2019? My wife is looking at 2020, i drive a 2109 3.6 Touring and love it.

I think they are less bright than the LEDs on my 2017 Forester.

The 2020 Outback is much nicer than the previous generation. The interior is better and road noise is much less than the 2016 I hd.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts

I've driven the 2019 and the difference is the beam pattern and light quality itself that's much much better in the 2020 rather than pure lumens.

On the 2019, you can tell where there is a hot spot from the light focused on to the road. On the 2020 it is a contrasty, bright blanket of light that just covers every thing in it's path. Especially so if you turn on the fog lights as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I turn on the auto-dim feature, I seem to be "greeted" less by someone flashing their bright lights at me from oncoming traffic.
When I turn that feature off, I leave my left hand on the lever so that when someone hits me with their brights, I can provide "assurance" that my low-beams are fairly bright :)

·
Registered
2020 Limited
2 Posts
34 was at the top of my beam. The rainbows went to over 35. I got a few flashes last night so I just brought it down a little. My high beams were also just shooting into space when I used them.
Just wondering, how many clicks to a "little?" Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
307 Posts
I've driven the 2019 and the difference is the beam pattern and light quality itself that's much much better in the 2020 rather than pure lumens.

On the 2019, you can tell where there is a hot spot from the light focused on to the road. On the 2020 it is a contrasty, bright blanket of light that just covers every thing in it's path. Especially so if you turn on the fog lights as well.
Thanks, this makes sense, having said that i have say when i look at my late build 2019 Touring 3.6, what you describe for the 2020 is more what i am seeing vs. a hot spot. I do know Subaru makes subtle changes year over year in a particular Gen. As an example i have seen people say Gen 6 is much quieter the Gen 5. I look and see the person may have a 2017 limited 2.5 or a 2018 Premium. Subaru made improvements in general quietness in 2018. As an example i have both the reduced noise windshield and side windows. My car is whisper quiet driving down the highway, low profile roof rails and the H6 help as well. I test drove a Touring XT is it quieter then my car, maybe, but if it was it was subtle not dramatic. I also felt the XT engine was louder (note: I said louder, not loud) and came through more. Subaru unlike say Toyota you can not just generalise by Gen, you need to look at build year and model. As a side note I freely admit the 2020's have a more solid body build in general. The new global platform is nice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just wondering, how many clicks to a "little?" Thanks.
It took quite a few clicks for me. More than I could count. I put a yard stick against the wall, and would turn a bunch, go check exactly where they were and keep adjusting. Several rotations at first, and then a few clicks at a time to fine tune it at the height I was going for.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
719 Posts
As reported earlier, I've got a September build and I was getting flashed allot. I adjusted my lights down a bit per the procedures listed here and have not been flashed once in 4 diffferent night drives now. Our lights are fine, some just need tweeking for beam angle. If your getting flashed, the fix is simple. Read the entire thread and go do it.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
258 Posts

Lights on our 20 Premium are brighter and whiter than on our 2019 Premium.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
258 Posts
FWIW I adjusted mine first on a block wall, and then out on a dark road with rolling hills. End result was a definitive light pattern that slopes slightly down from the car to the road ahead. Great illumination without shining in others eyes or mirrors on low beam, definitely blinding to others on high beam. Out of the box the low beams were way too high and shining in everyone's eyes. I have no idea what the height is at a given distance, I just went with what looks good to me out on the road. Used this same technique with great success on my lifted truck. Difference is the lights on the 2020 Subaru are way brighter and whiter than on my 2014 pickup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wish I found this thread before putting a deposit on a 2020 Touring XT. Figured the 2020s have been out long enough for the new model bugs to be fixed, but this thread proved otherwise. I'm cancelling and will revisit around the September 2020 time frame. This was the deal breaker for me; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165513-0001.pdf. Plus, hoping for the MY2021, they would bring back the streamlined roof rails from the 2019 Touring.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
157 Posts
As reported earlier, I've got a September build and I was getting flashed allot. I adjusted my lights down a bit per the procedures listed here and have not been flashed once in 4 diffferent night drives now. Our lights are fine, some just need tweeking for beam angle. If your getting flashed, the fix is simple. Read the entire thread and go do it.
I won't know how I go with this until end of this month when I drive the dual lane 14 freeway again, thats where I get flashed a lot and the car has the extra load of the snow gear. Lol, I will now need to carry extra gear - the long screwdriver and a measuring tape to fix.

Around here in LA I never got flashed...

Wish I found this thread before putting a deposit on a 2020 Touring XT. Figured the 2020s have been out long enough for the new model bugs to be fixed, but this thread proved otherwise. I'm cancelling and will revisit around the September 2020 time frame. This was the deal breaker for me; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165513-0001.pdf
That's a pity, sorry to hear that. I would still buy the car if this was me & I got my car in Jan 2 this year, nice New Years present. The car just sings and while this was disconcerting initially, I think now its no-nothing-burger as I understand whats the cause and easy to fix. Yeah, I wish Subaru got this right in the first place and they may fix it inline for production, but I would not put off buying the car just because of this one issue that a screwdriver can easily fix... jus sayin'

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Jus-An-Onyx - What is the date of manufacturer for your vehicle? The Outback I put a deposit on ETA is 2/20, so wondering what the lead time from manufacture to dealer is. I know Subaru has a tight just in time delivery approach, and from what I am reading elsewhere a January 2020 or newer build date might fix some issues.

My current vehicle is a 2017 F-Pace with LEDs, had absolutely zero issues with it. Hesitant on starting a new relationship with a potential problems/extra work when the only problem with my current ride is my wife will not drive it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@njoutbacknj The F-Pace is nice! I came from a Jag family (3 XJs) and we looked at the F-Pace but turn it down because of the smaller gas tank and we were even at the F-Pace launch event thrown by Galpin Jaguar. Very nice car indeed, congratz. However, we had problems with Jaguar as well especially the first one, the 2004 XJ - OH my Gawd, that was a nightmare electronic issues and the car went in like 14 times but Galpin really took care of us. I got to drive some really nice rentals when the XJ was in service so many times, luv that. So what I am saying here is that even Jaguar has issues, so do Aston Martins etc

Just recently, we had to replace the air suspension bladder in our XJ, cost us $2,500. Every XJ we have had, it always needed a bladder replacement around the 75,000 mark - thats air suspension for you...

My Onyx is a Dec build.

No, I hear ya and not stressing u about it. I turned down the 2020 Grand Cherokee TrailHawk because of the $ and also because of the potential air suspension issues with the freezing cold conditions since our new car has to negotiate the snow as part of the deal. Every car will have potential issues with it, jus got to figure out if that issue is a deal breaker or not. For me, air suspension definitely but tweaking a headlight, nope. Plus you can ask the dealer to measure that it's correct as part of the acceptance criteria when the car is ready, Subaru has it covered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Jus-An-Onyx Thank you for sharing build date. Yeah, was looking at the 2020 GC as well, mostly interested in the North Edition for that specific reason as it deletes the air shocks from the Trailhawk but otherwise mostly the same vehicle. Preferred the Outback Touring XT because of the safety and the 0-60 was only 0.7 slower than my F-Pace. Plus, the Outback has a steel outside which is cheaper to fix than Jag aluminium which is why my wife will not drive it as she is afraid that parking it someone will ding it. Agreed, there are trade-offs with every scenario. The only "issue" with the F-Pace that was a known quantity while purchasing was my front door panels needed to be adjusted by a Jaguar authorized body shop which made me realize how expensive aluminum is to fix.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@njoutbacknj my wife is the Jaguar killer, 3 of our Jags were totalled by her, 2 of them t-boned so she knows shes driving a tank and is totally safe! she won't drive another. Thats why she bought her 4th Jag XJ. The model she likes is getting harder and harder to find, she hates the new "boxy" ones.

Thanks for the headsup with the North edition, didn't see that before until now. I've driven the GC (not the North edition) and the OB definitely handles much, much better. Suspension on the OB is nice, firm but solid. Less body roll than the GC but its still there, its no sports car so don't fling it around as such, lol.

Yeah, aluminium cars are more prone to totalling than repairing so ensure you have new car coverage, just in case. I think if the Forrester still had its turbo, that may have been the car for you - seemless to go from FPace to that but oh well. The new Forrester seems neutered, imho.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Jus-An-Onyx - My original plan going this route all revolved around my oldest kid. Buying two new cars this year (OB Touring XT and XC40 or GLC 300 awd) and when the oldest turns driving age in two years, they have the choice of either to keep as their own. The F-Pace is not a first car for a new driver. In two years, Land Rover will have finally worked out all of the bugs on the new Defender 110 which will be my new ride. This whole headlight thing puts things into question on the OB, but have time to wait until 02/13.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
258 Posts
Wish I found this thread before putting a deposit on a 2020 Touring XT. Figured the 2020s have been out long enough for the new model bugs to be fixed, but this thread proved otherwise. I'm cancelling and will revisit around the September 2020 time frame. This was the deal breaker for me; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165513-0001.pdf. Plus, hoping for the MY2021, they would bring back the streamlined roof rails from the 2019 Touring.
Just so you know, the headlight aim is a simple screwdriver adjustment I did myself rather than messing with the dealership. Our 19 Outback needed no headlight adjustment, so yes Subaru dropped the ball a little on this, but the 2020 headlights are so much better, whiter and brighter. If you can wait for a 2021, probably a good choice, but I can also say the 2020 is an excellent car, feels so much more substantial than our 2019 did.

241 - 260 of 308 Posts