Subaru Outback Forums banner

261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
720 Posts
Wish I found this thread before putting a deposit on a 2020 Touring XT. Figured the 2020s have been out long enough for the new model bugs to be fixed, but this thread proved otherwise. I'm cancelling and will revisit around the September 2020 time frame. This was the deal breaker for me; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165513-0001.pdf. Plus, hoping for the MY2021, they would bring back the streamlined roof rails from the 2019 Touring.
Given the historical shortage of XT Tourings on the lot, my bet is that the car you are buying has a build date that makes this a non-issue (Build date is on a sticker in the drivers door well). Even if it had the issue , it's really just a 5 min adjustment to fix it. Certainly not a reason to have buyers remorse. Sounds like you had other reasons though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Given the historical shortage of XT Tourings on the lot, my bet is that the car you are buying has a build date that makes this a non-issue (Build date is on a sticker in the drivers door well). Even if it had the issue , it's really just a 5 min adjustment to fix it. Certainly not a reason to have buyers remorse. Sounds like you had other reasons though.
Agreed about their supply chain being run very tightly with a just in time delivery of Touring XTs. Understood about the 5 minute workaround, but that is like applying a software fix for a hardware problem. Based on the information from the IIHS on their website and received yesterday, there potentially are front end hardware changes, etc that will be shared on 02/13/2020. The IIHS website has very short production windows; before November 2019, after October 2019 but before Jan 2020, and the update coming on 02/13. This is problematic as there is a permanent asterisk on the vehicle depending on build date. It also makes things more awkward than necessary for servicing / repair in the future. Based on the posts within this thread, it appears there is either a pending recall or campaign to address. I like the vehicle, but if there is a pending change, I can wait for a different build date all the way through September 2020. Purchasing this vehicle is part of a bigger plan as we rotate cars to accommodate a future new driver in two years. Extra due diligence now will bring additional piece of mind in two years. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and we agreed we will revisit the situation as more information is available.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
157 Posts
Just so you know, the headlight aim is a simple screwdriver adjustment I did myself rather than messing with the dealership. Our 19 Outback needed no headlight adjustment, so yes Subaru dropped the ball a little on this, but the 2020 headlights are so much better, whiter and brighter. If you can wait for a 2021, probably a good choice, but I can also say the 2020 is an excellent car, feels so much more substantial than our 2019 did.
Good to hear, I was considering the 19 but the 2020 looked so promising especially with the turbo so your post affirmed our decision with the 2020. Yeah, its a no brainer now and I easily checked my measurements last night, its at 33" to the dark band per chvvkumar. I think I am good but I'll bring my stuff to Mammoth on that notorious 2 lane freeway, jus in case...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their headlight low beams pointing too high on their new Outback.

My low beams are clearly too high—this evidenced by every 3rd or 4th car flashing their high beams at me while out on the open road. I took it back to the dealer and was told they were fine (by a quick visual check by the service facilitator standing out in front of my car who also told me they couldn't be adjusted anyway). Then, on the way home, a State Patrolman pulled me over for having my high beams on!

So...has anyone else had trouble with their low beam adjustment? Are they, in fact, not adjustable? Finally, what recourse might I have in dealing with this (e.g. a
means of contacting Subaru directly).
The same thing is happening to both my husband and I when we drive our 2020 Outback. About every 5th car is bright lighting us when we know our low beams are on. We even have people we are following at a safe distance, pull over and then pull in behind us to bright light us from behind. Have you had any resolution to this?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
The same thing is happening to both my husband and I when we drive our 2020 Outback. About every 5th car is bright lighting us when we know our low beams are on. We even have people we are following at a safe distance, pull over and then pull in behind us to bright light us from behind. Have you had any resolution to this?
Resolutions are posted in this thread. Two options:

1. Use a screw driver and adjust them yourself (post #84)
2. Take it to the dealer to get them to adjust the lights.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Resolutions are posted in this thread. Two options:

1. Use a screw driver and adjust them yourself (post #84)
2. Take it to the dealer to get them to adjust the lights.
@JaniceS - I would recommend selecting one of the two above options AFTER the IIHS releases the revised ratings on 02/13/2020. This way, there is something tangible to say "My car build date is X and there is something wrong with the headlights." All signs are indicating either a recall or service campaign to have the dealers correct early model headlights.

·
Registered
411 Posts
@JaniceS - I would recommend selecting one of the two above options AFTER the IIHS releases the revised ratings on 02/13/2020. This way, there is something tangible to say "My car build date is X and there is something wrong with the headlights." All signs are indicating either a recall or service campaign to have the dealers correct early model headlights.
Simply measure how many inches they are at 10' to start with. I have heard everything from 32" to 39" on here as where they were from the factory.

Measuring right in front of the bumper the split where the bright white turns yellow is about 32.25". At that height at 10' they should be just about level.

Mine are adjusted to 33" at 7' as that is the longest level distance I could measure in my garage. They are aimed slightly up. I only get flashed once in a while. I may try adjusting them down a quarter inch.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Surprised anyone would take the time to bring car into dealership just to have this adjusted...
Easy enough to do yourself in a few minutes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
Surprised anyone would take the time to bring car into dealership just to have this adjusted...
Easy enough to do yourself in a few minutes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I could have easily done this myself but I wanted a paper trail of the problem if for nothing than to add a data point for a potential recall or a fix. I was also getting my front camera replaced so I was going to be at the dealership for that any way.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i LTD
140 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback
197 Posts
A few misadjusted headlights (easily fixed) and a document that says Subaru is monitoring quality closely don't strike me as major quality concerns.
Yeah, even though I have a few issues, I don’t regret my purchase. And if they get CarPlay to display full screen, I’ll be even happier. It’s an Outback, but rides and feels more like a European sedan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A few misadjusted headlights (easily fixed) and a document that says Subaru is monitoring quality closely don't strike me as major quality concerns.
That is assuming the mechanism itself is not flawed. The MY20 uses a leveling and steering mechanism and due to several other variables, it is best that SoA puts this to bed. Taking a screwdriver to adjust it in a DIY approach is like a software fix for a hardware problem. The IIHS is updating their rating on Feb 13th based on mid-production manufacturing changes in processes, procedures, and/or hardware and it has been alluded that SoA will release a statement and/or campaign for owners of pre-Jan 2020 vehicles. This delay allows pre-Jan 2020 vehicles to be purchased / taken off the lot otherwise the federal government prohibits the sale of vehicles with an active recall. So until then, people should hold off with their screwdrivers as the onus is with the manufacturer, not the owner. Said differently, if an owner accidentally strips or adjusts too much breaking something, the manufacturer can say it was done incorrectly based on what they read on the Internet and charge the customer for what should have been free. The title of this thread says it all... that a dealer refused to fix something that is the manufacturers responsibility. Instead of throwing up the hands and giving up or tinkering with something solely based on what an Internet forum says, the correct thing to do is hold the manufacturer and the dealer network accountable. @chvvkumar is correct in saying that there should be a data point recorded by taking it to the dealer for multiple reasons including manufacturer liability.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
720 Posts
If you're not confident using a screwdriver, take it to the dealer. Had no problems with the mechanism on ours, and was surprised how far out of adjustment they were.
Agreed. I was getting flashed more times than I could count in just a couple of hours of night driving. Just by adjusting the beam down 1 1/4" or so (at 9.5'), the problem was cured 100%. I have not been flashed once since in weeks. That was about the easiest problem solve there is on any car I've owned.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
422 Posts
Agreed. I was getting flashed more times than I could count in just a couple of hours of night driving. Just by adjusting the beam down 1 1/4" or so (at 9.5'), the problem was cured 100%. I have not been flashed once since in weeks. That was about the easiest problem solve there is on any car I've owned.
what height did you set it at?

·
Registered
2020 Outback
197 Posts
When I started they were around 33.5". I set them to just over 32" . There is probobly room to go back up a little but I'm good with them as they sit.
If memory serves, it took about 20 clicks to get to an inch .
Wow, 20 clicks! I was getting flashed, and adjusted each headlight down 2 clicks. I did not measure anything, just counted clicks, figuring it’s easy enough to go more, and it made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
422 Posts
That s were mine are but darn if they don t light up the treetops, LOL.
my 19 is at 34 at 10 also. Something just seems different.

261 - 280 of 308 Posts