Subaru Outback Forums banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Official Subaru spec calls for 34" at 10 feet.
Based on the factory service manual it is about 32.25". See height D. Measure what the height is right in front of the bumper. It should be that same height at 10' if you want them level as the FSM indicates.

Edit: In an email from my dealer they measured the height as "On a 2020 Subaru Outback Limited they measured at 32.6” from the ground".

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,690 Posts
Based on the factory service manual it is about 32.25". See height D. Measure what the height is right in front of the bumper. It should be that same height at 10' if you want them level as the FSM indicates.

Well, here's my work order from when I got my lights adjusted at the dealer:

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
151 Posts
It's very possible that the headlights weren't aimed correctly from the factory.
Same thing happened with my last work truck, 16 Silverado.
I was getting flashed a lot, mentioned it to the dealership while in for an oil change and they sisters for free.
No more flashes.
That being said, I need to check our 18 OB, I think they are actually too low.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
144 Posts
Wonder if that spec needs to catch up... (...and could an outdated spec be the initial problem)?
I think it needs to be reviewed. Mine was 34", on-spec since it is a Dec build and while its now down to 33", I am thinking of going 32" tonight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the aggregate info in the thread. I've had car for month and getting flashed by oncoming traffic was a regular occurrence. Got my long #2 phillips out and did some adjustments. Started w/ 3 full turns down, test dive was uncomfortable. finally settled on 1 turn down (from delivery settings). Good so far...

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
151 Posts
I measured our'18 last night and found they were under 32". I brought them up to 32.5" , asked my wife to let me know if anyone flashes during her dark morning commute.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
4 Posts
Just did mine !!!
Took 5 minutes in front of my garage door. Eyeballed the height just a tinny bit lower.
No more flashing
Make shure you have a long Philips screwdriver.

Thanks to Magicbear !!!

Luc
South shore Mtl
Just to double check, did you have any issues with the steering responsive headlights when doing this?

I also have a 2020 Touring XT (Jan 20 build date), and my lows are definitely too high. Following another car on any road with even the slightest bumps, the top of my beam flashes in and out of their rear view mirror. I've been flashed by many oncoming cars and flipped off by those I'm following!

281 - 289 of 289 Posts