Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
123 Posts
This is a pretty good video about LED headlight aiming, A quick check might take some of the BS out of this subject:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
460 Posts
No, they are blinded by your always on fog lights. No point in driving around with fog lights always on, unless you don't drive faster than 15mph and always have visibility that's less than 25ft.
You're kidding, right. I think you are over estimating OEM fog lights, LED or otherwise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So weird, I've never noticed being blinded by fog lights. People drive with them on all the time, and I'm in a Mazda 3 pretty low to the ground. I've never even heard someone complain about people driving with fogs on until one the threads here in the last few days.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
750 Posts
So weird, I've never noticed being blinded by fog lights. People drive with them on all the time, and I'm in a Mazda 3 pretty low to the ground. I've never even heard someone complain about people driving with fogs on until one the threads here in the last few days.
I think people are confusing low power fog lights and high power driving lights that people add to their trucks for off road driving or work uses. There is no way fog lights can blind anyone. Driving lights, however, are made to be as bright as possible without any regard to blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think people are confusing low power fog lights and high power driving lights that people add to their trucks for off road driving or work uses. There is no way fog lights can blind anyone. Driving lights, however, are made to be as bright as possible without any regard to blinding other drivers.
Haha, I literally just googled this issue and found a Cartalk discussion that mentioned driving lights. I think you must be right.

And I actually have seen one true jerkoff driving around with some of those and it was absolutely blinding. Terrible. But those are aftermarket right? Or quite rare OEM. Maybe some Outbacks modified by the dealer would have them, but still gotta be rare compared to stock fog lights that most cars come with.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
164 Posts
My Gen5 has HID's and I have not been flashed as of noon, EST, today. Also, do you live in the sticks? suburbs? urban environment?

I live in the Greater Boston, MA area and can tell you, every 4th or 5th retard is driving around with cheap, eBay plug & play HID kits around here... No retrofits, not even projector head lamps that could even possibly be standard equipment.

It is very annoying. I got stopped by a State Trooper two years ago because I flashed my high beams at a said, tard who was stopped--opposite direct of travel trying to turn left with his high beams on IN ADDITION TO his crappy eBay HIDs on his POS ricer Acura. The trooper was a couple cars behind the ricer and quickly turned around to pull me over.

The State Trooper said it's illegal to flash high beams while moving, only to turn them on or off. I think he pulled me over for a fishing expedition even though I told him why I flashed my high beams... I couldn't see. wink LOL.

I never cared to look it up because he didn't give me a ticket.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
411 Posts
IIRC, the new LED projectors are indeed load leveling. Also, in order to earn the highest ratings for light projection, they do need to be as bright as they are. That will get you flashed by other drivers, as I know from driving my Ascent Touring with similar headlights.

Sadly, that's the way these new lights are.

In the detailed reports on IIHS, you can see how the fall off on earlier HID bulbs didn't meet their satisfaction. Check the 2019 Ascent, for instance.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
862 Posts
IIRC, the new LED projectors are indeed load leveling. Also, in order to earn the highest ratings for light projection, they do need to be as bright as they are. That will get you flashed by other drivers, as I know from driving my Ascent Touring with similar headlights.

Sadly, that's the way these new lights are.

In the detailed reports on IIHS, you can see how the fall off on earlier HID bulbs didn't meet their satisfaction. Check the 2019 Ascent, for instance.

From IIHS' page above, it does seem like the low beams create some glare which explains why drivers are flashing (at least on the ascent).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,891 Posts
I don't have any evidence to back it up but sometimes I suspect people expect fog lights to be more like driving lights and they adjust the beam up higher trying to get more reach out of them. That would be when they could blind oncoming traffic. In fact I think some people do the same thing with their low beam headlights because they seem to have a need to light up the world without regard to other traffic.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 5MT PSM /2020 Outback Onyx XT AGM
86 Posts
I live in Northern Middlesex County NJ and I usually get flashed by others 2-4 times in my Onyx on a 5 mile commute. When I drive the ‘04 Forester I typically flash others 2-4 times on the same roads. :D

·
Registered
2019 3.6 touring in wilderness green metallic
56 Posts
I've had 2 loaner '19 outbacks from the dealership while having service done. First one had its headlights way too low, so low that driving over 40 mph was easily over driving them and made me a bit nervous. 2nd one had them higher, more where I thought they'd be, no one flashing me. My '19 outback's headlights are even higher than the 2nd one, and I've had enough people flash me that I might lower the left headlight a smidge. All headlights were compared by parking the car in the same spot, same distance from a wall, and marking the cutoff of the light beams of each.

But there is definitely wide variability from the factory when it comes to how the headlights are aimed, so its very possible that OP's headlights are in fact too high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their headlight low beams pointing too high on their new Outback.

My low beams are clearly too high—this evidenced by every 3rd or 4th car flashing their high beams at me while out on the open road. I took it back to the dealer and was told they were fine (by a quick visual check by the service facilitator standing out in front of my car who also told me they couldn't be adjusted anyway). Then, on the way home, a State Patrolman pulled me over for having my high beams on!

So...has anyone else had trouble with their low beam adjustment? Are they, in fact, not adjustable? Finally, what recourse might I have in dealing with this (e.g. a
means of contacting Subaru directly).
OP here responding with a follow-up. On the advice of Subaru Customer Support, I was directed to another dealer who not only diagnosed the headlight problem and lowered the low beams by 1.5 inches (might have been a software glitch and fix) but also fixed the deactivated RAB system (for Reverse Activated Breaking, I think, for which I have had a dash warning light and Starlink notifications). Turns out the original dealer failed not only to address the headlight issue but also failed to reattach the RAB sensor when they installed the tow hitch). Argh! I got charged only for reattaching the RAB sensor ($70) for which I will need to go back to the original dealer and ask to be compensated. Again, though, argh!

But the car is fixed and driving at night is much more pleasant when every 3rd or 4th car is not flashing its high beams. And I have a new dealer to take my car to going forward.

·
Registered
3rd & 4th 2.5L Outbacks: '14 with 62k, '11 with 100k. Traded '04 @ 12 yr & 155k & '99 @ 12 yr & 155k
38 Posts
Compared to what? Must auto reviewers complain Outback headlights cut off too low?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
123 Posts
Argh! I got charged only for reattaching the RAB sensor ($70) for which I will need to go back to the original dealer and ask to be compensated. Again, though, argh!
I hope you et the $70 back without a hassle.

It would be classy if SOA handled the refund.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts