Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 limited (past: 2009 OB Special Edition; unknown late 70's-early 80's wagon
19 Posts
Yes. But, on my 2010 Outback they were way too low (low beams shined right in front of car, bright shined where low beams shoul have been.

In my situation, a few months ago z headloght was out. I had both changed at (F--------) while having oil change and tire rotation.

Had outback at dealer this week. Apparently low beam bulbs were not installed correctly, and could not be adjusted without proer installation.Subaru reinstalled them properly. They checked adjustment, and corrected if needdd. All is fine now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
OP here responding with a follow-up. On the advice of Subaru Customer Support, I was directed to another dealer who not only diagnosed the headlight problem and lowered the low beams by 1.5 inches (might have been a software glitch and fix) but also fixed the deactivated RAB system (for Reverse Activated Breaking, I think, for which I have had a dash warning light and Starlink notifications). Turns out the original dealer failed not only to address the headlight issue but also failed to reattach the RAB sensor when they installed the tow hitch). Argh! I got charged only for reattaching the RAB sensor ($70) for which I will need to go back to the original dealer and ask to be compensated. Again, though, argh!

But the car is fixed and driving at night is much more pleasant when every 3rd or 4th car is not flashing its high beams. And I have a new dealer to take my car to going forward.
Ken,
I'm delighted to read this. Your intuition was correct and my theory was proven. Sometimes things happen with no explanation. Yes, original dealer has some explaining to do. Happy your driving experience is improved and that you have a new dealer to work with. Enjoy in good health and have a great weekend.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
193 Posts
Ken,
I'm delighted to read this. Your intuition was correct and my theory was proven. Sometimes things happen with no explanation. Yes, original dealer has some explaining to do. Happy your driving experience is improved and that you have a new dealer to work with. Enjoy in good health and have a great weekend.
This really should not have been a surprise to anyone. If you are getting flashed that often and a cop pulls you over, you have a problem. This is common sense. Subaru is not going to design a car that blinds on coming traffic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
OP here responding with a follow-up. On the advice of Subaru Customer Support, I was directed to another dealer who not only diagnosed the headlight problem and lowered the low beams by 1.5 inches (might have been a software glitch and fix) but also fixed the deactivated RAB system (for Reverse Activated Breaking, I think, for which I have had a dash warning light and Starlink notifications). Turns out the original dealer failed not only to address the headlight issue but also failed to reattach the RAB sensor when they installed the tow hitch). Argh! I got charged only for reattaching the RAB sensor ($70) for which I will need to go back to the original dealer and ask to be compensated. Again, though, argh!

But the car is fixed and driving at night is much more pleasant when every 3rd or 4th car is not flashing its high beams. And I have a new dealer to take my car to going forward.
Wondering about the "RAB Off" in the instrument panel.. in my 2020 Touring XT, its always off, even when I put the vehicle in Reverse. Also in the RAB settings, I do see only one option which is "Sonar Audible Alarm". Is that the normal behavior ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Was just flashed like 4 times on my short 10 minute drive from getting food. Seems to be when the car is slightly tipped uphill. When on level ground not getting flashed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Was just flashed like 4 times on my short 10 minute drive from getting food. Seems to be when the car is slightly tipped uphill. When on level ground not getting flashed.
Better check it...someone may keep their brights on you and cause you to wreck...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
Also check that auto high beam is turned off (light stalk pulled towards the driver. The feature is only enabled when lights are set to auto). I noticed it takes about a second for the system to notice a car in front and turns the brights off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their headlight low beams pointing too high on their new Outback.

My low beams are clearly too high—this evidenced by every 3rd or 4th car flashing their high beams at me while out on the open road. I took it back to the dealer and was told they were fine (by a quick visual check by the service facilitator standing out in front of my car who also told me they couldn't be adjusted anyway). Then, on the way home, a State Patrolman pulled me over for having my high beams on!

So...has anyone else had trouble with their low beam adjustment? Are they, in fact, not adjustable? Finally, what recourse might I have in dealing with this (e.g. a
means of contacting Subaru directly).
Same is true with the 2018 Outback.

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
Aside from a few snide/rude posts, this has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I had the opposite experience from the OP on several counts. I always felt my low beams were too low for good night driving. Outback 2016. When I asked the dealer, they immediately put in on some test setup. I was there, so I know they actually did it. (Good dealer - Cascade Autocenter in Wenatchee, WA)

The test said my beams were correctly set at factory specs and the dealer wasn't willing to aim them higher. I can understand that. I just disagree with the factory specs. I found an easy way to do it myself in a thread on this forum.

My wife has a 2015 Forester. Her low beams are perfect. She has also noticed the difference between our two cars.

·
Registered
Outback 2016 2.5 Premium
48 Posts
I just disagree with the factory specs. I found an easy way to do it myself in a thread on this forum.

My wife has a 2015 Forester. Her low beams are perfect. She has also noticed the difference between our two cars.
Ok, I am replying to my own post.
I just looked at IIHS, which is mentioned earlier on in this thread. It gives my Outback 2016 2.5i Premium without EyeSight a "poor" rating for headlights. The graphs show less than optimal low beams.
The comments:
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the left side of the road and fair on the right side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

There are no headlight tests for my wife's 2015 Forester to compare to.

I am wondering if there is a replacement for the low beam halogens or does the overall headlight housing keep me stuck with halogen bulbs equal to OEM. I wouldn't want anything that makes things worse for oncoming drivers when I only using low beams.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
I just looked at IIHS, which is mentioned earlier on in this thread. It gives my Outback 2016 2.5i Premium without EyeSight a "poor" rating for headlights. The graphs show less than optimal low beams.
The comments:
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the left side of the road and fair on the right side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

I am wondering if there is a replacement for the low beam halogens or does the overall headlight housing keep me stuck with halogen bulbs equal to OEM. I wouldn't want anything that makes things worse for oncoming drivers when I only using low beams.
Check this for retrofit kits for your 2016 OB:

·
Registered
433 Posts
The comments:
Low beams

Hey! May want to create a new thread the older forums with more people and ask for their comments. Good luck!
I was up our way a few years ago and the massive apple orchards were amazing to see. That reminds me, I'm behind on my "apple a day" goal. Need to go get a couple out of my fridge!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did you ever take any action on this? Still getting flashed?
No I’m going to let it be. I like how they are aimed and getting flashed only seems to happen under certain circumstances. I have not been flashed on level roads just when your kinda tipped up a road it seems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got flashed a couple of times, driving home yesterday, too, the first time I can remember being flashed, in perhaps 20 years, with low-beams on.

When I got home, I parked my car in front of the garage, and got out my "good old-fashioned low-tech leveler" (as a h/w and s/w engineer, I'm often heavily-weighted towards tech solutions ;-]), and checked them, and they were just fine, according to that gauge, plus they didn't look like the cut-off was particularly high, on the garage door, either.
I think this is the LED implementation, through the focused-lens (a GREAT lens, Subaru has had these since at least 2010, and they rival my old 90's HID 911 headlights, IMO/IME), it's just a bit "shockingly sharp", and VERY white, probably arount 5-6000k, by my estimate (I've done a fair amount of color-bulb research over the years now, and have a strong preference for 3200-4000k). I do hope that someone comes out with an "equivalent kit" that's more around the 4000k-ish range, they just work SO much better in the snow/fog/similar IMO/IME (this part is perhaps somewhat subjective, but there is a reason that older fog-lights were yellow-tinted, or if white <=3000k).
If there was a "decent quality kit" out there (not some one-off, ordered straight from CH, for example), I'd probably take the time to dig-in, and do the replacement.

I'm already trying to figure out if I can 3D-print myself some replacements for the map-lights, which are definitely very white too, likely in the 6-7000k range.

I suppose the ultra-white-almost-blueish lights "look cool", but I sure don't like them, for actually being able to see stuff...
We're almost 100% LED bulbs, at home, but they range from 2800-3500k, even our garage fluorescent replacement LED tubes are 3400, which is pretty nice, for working on stuff (and now all 10 tubes are about the same WaH as 2 of the old fluorescent bulbs), our outdoor floods (18w/150w equivalents) are 3200k, and so on...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get flashed every night by a bunch of cars since I got my 2020 Outback on 11/2. I’m so annoyed I find myself mumbling I don’t have my high beams on. It does get me nervous because I drive a two lane highway at night to get home and I’m afraid of blinding drivers coming from the other direction. I believe these LED lights are so much brighter than the ones in my previous 2018 Outback. I’m also wondering if there’s a way to fix this.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
25 Posts
Wondering about the "RAB Off" in the instrument panel.. in my 2020 Touring XT, its always off, even when I put the vehicle in Reverse. Also in the RAB settings, I do see only one option which is "Sonar Audible Alarm". Is that the normal behavior ?
I had the same problem.. next time you put the car in reverse, press and HOLD the RAB OFF icon on the left side of the camera display.. after a few seconds it'll change.

RAB is the Reverse Avoidance Braking (I think that's the acronym description) -- they have to turn it off manually when loading the cars on and off the car carrier because the rear sonar/camera detects the angle/ramp of the truck as an obstruction and forcibly stops the car from backing up.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,218 Posts
We're almost 100% LED bulbs, at home, but they range from 2800-3500k, even our garage fluorescent replacement LED tubes are 3400, which is pretty nice, for working on stuff (and now all 10 tubes are about the same WaH as 2 of the old fluorescent bulbs), our outdoor floods (18w/150w equivalents) are 3200k, and so on...
I'm with you, cold color illumination is not pleasant at all. People should definitely look at the color temp of LED replacements in the home. It's not just your eyes that will appreciate the difference.

I wonder if someone will introduce dual color LEDs for autos where the color is selectable for the driving situation you describe, driving in WX where reflectivity is a problem...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm with you, cold color illumination is not pleasant at all. People should definitely look at the color temp of LED replacements in the home. It's not just your eyes that will appreciate the difference.

I wonder if someone will introduce dual color LEDs for autos where the color is selectable for the driving situation you describe, driving in WX where reflectivity is a problem...
Lights in the home and those in a car are completely different use cases. I would want warmer colors at home. In the car, as white and bright as can be.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts