Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,228 Posts
...I would want In the car, as white and bright as can be.
Ahhh, there's the thing. If the WX is nice, sure, as "white or cold as possible". But, in a heavy rain, fog or snow? I don't think so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get flashed every night by a bunch of cars since I got my 2020 Outback on 11/2. I’m so annoyed I find myself mumbling I don’t have my high beams on. It does get me nervous because I drive a two lane highway at night to get home and I’m afraid of blinding drivers coming from the other direction. I believe these LED lights are so much brighter than the ones in my previous 2018 Outback. I’m also wondering if there’s a way to fix this.
I have the same issue in my 2020 Onyx, I am going to check and make sure they are set correctly using the video linked earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same issue in my 2020 Onyx, I am going to check and make sure they are set correctly using the video linked earlier in this thread.
What did you end up finding out? I’m in a similar boat. Get flashed a lot but I live in the country and 75% of people drive lifted trucks which set the light right into your face regardless, so I don’t have a huge sense of urgency to look into it yet

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx, 2.4L Turbo, CVT
4 Posts
What did you end up finding out? I’m in a similar boat. Get flashed a lot but I live in the country and 75% of people drive lifted trucks which set the light right into your face regardless, so I don’t have a huge sense of urgency to look into it yet
I was having the same issue with our 2020 Onyx and was getting a lot of conflicting information from the dealer. We couldn't take the cars (and semis) constantly flashing their high beams at us and we were ready to trade the car off. Finally the service department came through and told me where the manual adjustment is. You need a long (8" or more) blade #2 Phillips screwdriver. The access hole is cut into the frame bracing (looking down from above) between the wheel well and the radiator. It's located close the side next to the wheel well. If you look closely on the black plastic you'll even see a D and a U with an arrow meaning down and up telling you the direction the lights will move when you turn the gear. I don't understand why this isn't mentioned in the owner's manual. I went too far down with them and after a road test had to raise them back up a bit but I'm no longer worried now that I know how to adjust them. The first image is where I ended up putting my phillips because I didn't have a long enough phillips and had to rig something else together with socket extensions. The second one is what the gear looks like and is where the phillips head actually goes into. The last picture is of the D and the U indicating down and up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
I was having the same issue with our 2020 Onyx and was getting a lot of conflicting information from the dealer. We couldn't take the cars (and semis) constantly flashing their high beams at us and we were ready to trade the car off. Finally the service department came through and told me where the manual adjustment is. You need a long (8" or more) blade #2 Phillips screwdriver. The access hole is cut into the frame bracing (looking down from above) between the wheel well and the radiator. It's located close the side next to the wheel well. If you look closely on the black plastic you'll even see a D and a U with an arrow meaning down and up telling you the direction the lights will move when you turn the gear. I don't understand why this isn't mentioned in the owner's manual. I went too far down with them and after a road test had to raise them back up a bit but I'm no longer worried now that I know how to adjust them. The first image is where I ended up putting my phillips because I didn't have a long enough phillips and had to rig something else together with socket extensions. The second one is what the gear looks like and is where the phillips head actually goes into. The last picture is of the D and the U indicating down and up. Hope this helps.

View attachment 474919 View attachment 474921 View attachment 474922
Wow. Somebody got it figured out! Thanks for posting!
This should be a sticky!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Purchased an Onyx this weekend. Flashed 7 times on my way home (2.5 hr drive). Obviously needs adjusted. Thanks to the OP who didn’t listen to the ‘there’s nothing wrong crowd’. Thanks to those on here who are helpful. Great lights for me but not for those coming the other way.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,356 Posts
ok but these are clearly brighter lights than a lot of cars, which will make some people flash. I myself notice some cars that seem too bright, and I wonder if they have their high beams on. Before I go adjusting these, I want to know where are they SUPPOSED to be set? Whats the standard rule for this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok but these are clearly brighter lights than a lot of cars, which will make some people flash. I myself notice some cars that seem too bright, and I wonder if they have their high beams on. Before I go adjusting these, I want to know where are they SUPPOSED to be set? Whats the standard rule for this?
The dealer told me to measure the from the floor to the center of the headlight bulb and then park the car 10' away from the wall. The beam on the wall should be no higher than the headlight height measurement. However I don't think my headlights were that far out of the dealer recommended adjustment. I'm just going to keep adjusting them until we've found the happy medium between being able to see the road well and not blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,356 Posts
Yep, that's the standard method, here's the diagram from the 2015 FSM:

The only additional little detail you might want to consider is that my left headlight, since new, came adjusted slightly lower than the right. Apparently this is common practice, particularly with brighter headlights (I have the Subaru HIDs), to help reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flashed 4x this morning on my 20 minute drive to work. Purposely did a test where I manually dimmed the lights, timed it right so as not to make someone mad but they see I dimmed the lights. Flashed twice with this method. I then had dims on for the remainder of the test and was flashed two more times. Fogs were not on, high beams were not accidentally on.

I will be fixing these tonight as I don’t want to become that little red anger guy on the movie inside out.

Thanks for the fix I hope it’s easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Flashed 4x this morning on my 20 minute drive to work. Purposely did a test where I manually dimmed the lights, timed it right so as not to make someone mad but they see I dimmed the lights. Flashed twice with this method. I then had dims on for the remainder of the test and was flashed two more times. Fogs were not on, high beams were not accidentally on.

I will be fixing these tonight as I don’t want to become that little red anger guy on the movie inside out.

Thanks for the fix I hope it’s easy.
It is super easy if you know where to look and have a long Phillips screwdriver. I'd recommend picking one up if you don't have one. I plan to keep one in the car for a while until i'm happy with the adjustment so I can adjust it on the fly if needed.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
It is super easy if you know where to look and have a long Phillips screwdriver. I'd recommend picking one up if you don't have one. I plan to keep one in the car for a while until i'm happy with the adjustment so I can adjust it on the fly if needed.
How long does it have to be?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Touring
127 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! Thanks for sharing the location of the headlight adjustment. I have been flashed more than 3 times in 20 minutes of driving in fairly light traffic. I checked and from my measurements, the lights appeared to be set about 1" above even over 10 feet. I dropped them 2 full inches and took it for a test drive. I can still see fine so I am going to leave it for now and adjust as needed. This is the fist I have driven this car at night (wife has been driving it) and wow are these lights bright. Major safety hazard to have these lights set too high. I can't believe this is not a recall issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! Thanks for sharing the location of the headlight adjustment. I have been flashed more than 3 times in 20 minutes of driving in fairly light traffic. I checked and from my measurements, the lights appeared to be set about 1" above even over 10 feet. I dropped them 2 full inches and took it for a test drive. I can still see fine so I am going to leave it for now and adjust as needed. This is the fist I have driven this car at night (wife has been driving it) and wow are these lights bright. Major safety hazard to have these lights set too high. I can't believe this is not a recall issue.
Same. I adjusted them at work, no flashes on the way home and still see great! They hit the car in front of me about their bumper now instead of their window. No glare off road signs and feel like my car is fun and not a hassle anymore. Happy as can be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my Outback Onyx to the dealer today and had my headlights fixed. It was shining into the back windows of the cars in front of me. Some people literally moved over when I was driving behind them. I was constantly being flashed by oncoming traffic, including UPS trucks! After the adjustment, the headlights are pointed lower and I did not get flashed even once driving home tonight. Definitely this is a problem that Subaru needs to address. It’s a quality control problem when the headlights are not pointed properly at the factory. More important it’s a safety issue. The lights are still plenty bright after the adjustment, but the angle is not blinding people anymore.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts