Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both headlights(lows) on my 13 outback are not working. My girlfriend that drives the car daily didn't even know they were out because i guess the fog lights are bright enough for her to see, and she doesn't drive at night too often. I was in it the other night and thought something was a little off, so I switched off the foglights, and sure enough it was just dark.

I took a look and the bulbs both looked burnt out. I got new ones, installed them in a jif and to my disappointment still no light. I then checked the fuses under the dash, all looked good. Switched the hi and lo h/l relays and the high beams still worked, no lows. Switching the headlights on does make a noticeable sound if you listen carefully, just like clicking on and off the high beams(so I assume the headlight switch is good?).

I suppose my next move is to go poking around with a volt meter, but I dont have much experience with vehicle elecricity/wiring. Anyone have any ideas of what my next few steps should be to troubleshoot the problem further? Any help would be appreciated! I do have a pdf fsm but find it very hard to navigate through and find anything.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
do the daytime running lights work? do they work and then go out when you engage the E brake?

do the rear tail lights work. ? = check the bulb/ bulb sockets around the tail lights and license plate lights.
(such things on the rear of the car may need to be functioning to get the head lights to work properly).
@plain OM or @brucep might have more/different suggestions.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
What type of bulbs were replaced , H7 or 9005?

The high beam bulbs are easy to locate and change from the engine compartment, whereas the low beam bulbs require the front wheel well liner to be pulled down/away to get access to the bulb through the wheel well. There's been cases where the high beam bulbs (9005) were located, and replaced, thinking those were the low beams (H7) that are out.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
That's what sounds like happened since I've never heard anyone say " installed them in a jif " :banghead:

What type of bulbs were replaced , H7 or 9005?

The high beam bulbs are easy to locate and change from the engine compartment, whereas the low beam bulbs require the front wheel well liner to be pulled down/away to get access to the bulb through the wheel well. There's been cases where the high beam bulbs (9005) were located, and replaced, thinking those were the low beams (H7) that are out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts