Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 has headlights that are getting hazy and they have what i would call spider-webbing or heat cracks in the plastic lenses. I was wondering if there are any good aftermarket lights out there to replace my diminishing lights or would it be in my best interest to find a set of OEM ones? Lets be honest, finding OEM ones that are better than what I have might be a stretch since we are 15 years since my car was new. I'm not really interested in HID's or anything that is a substantial upgrade over stock. I just want clear lights that are bright.

Thoughts?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Try a good DIY polishing kit from any parts store (some threads here about how to polish headlights, see the search). See what all you've got to work with first. Old plastic cleans up well for a while.

·
Registered
2002 Outback EJ251 AT
44 Posts
Would agree with the polishing route. I have a 3M kit that's worked wonderfully. As a matter of fact, I just polished the lenses two days ago with 3M rubbing compound in preparation for Fall/Winter and they're crystal clear. Used it on my old Jetta also (those are notorious for having the lights frost over).

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Agree with the above posts. DIY kit, hour of your time and you can have them looking good like new.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,221 Posts
here is a long thread about melting your headlights with bug spray, and or fiddling with brass polish,

but I detailed what I bought and why I bought it, after reading some online comparisons of the various kits, detailing what they have and how long they last. the headlights I restored a few years back ...still look great.:smile2: (like 3 years?,...edit: mild spider web cracks on the inside, ...but really really clear).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-polish-my-hazy-headlights-3.html#post3516769

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,627 Posts
many ways to get a decent polish, making it last requires a good UV filtering coat.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
All that cracking never goes away with all the polishing in the world. I saw a set the other day...yikes.

·
Registered
2002 Outback EJ251 AT
44 Posts
All that cracking never goes away with all the polishing in the world. I saw a set the other day...yikes.
True. I just replaced both tails as the plastic splintering was too much on both of them. Not sure why some OBW plastic is better than others. Living up here in the PNW, it's not like the sun is beating on them all day.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
True. I just replaced both tails as the plastic splintering was too much on both of them. Not sure why some OBW plastic is better than others. Living up here in the PNW, it's not like the sun is beating on them all day.
Maybe it's the humidity?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I bought the NSF certified TYC replacements for my Outback from Rockauto.com, their pricing is pretty reasonable. I had 3M clear chip guard installed on the lights & they still look like new 3 years later.

·
Registered
2002 Outback EJ251 AT
44 Posts
Maybe it's the humidity?
Quite possible. Never had any issues of this on our other cars though. Which is why I just chalk it up to cheap Sube sub-contractor plastic :wink2:

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,198 Posts
Do you drive around during the daylight hours with the headlights on most of the time? Heat exposure is a huge factor in how fast they will oxidize.

On the headlight cover front, does anyone know of any covers out there for filing up the fog light recesses?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and polished them up today. Not too happy with them, but they are brighter than they were and it will hold me off until i figure out exactly which replacements i want.

Still looking for opinions on replacements at this time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Digging this by back up as I'd like to find something brighter for my 02 obw. I've done the polishing, and it last a little while, but still uninspiring compared to my Honda headlights.
Anyone find some decent aftermarket lights for their OBW?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts