Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to locate some sort of LED headlight or aftermarket headlight kit for my 2009......and I cannot find anything it seems. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Don't.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Even if you get some that manage to get enough light on the pavement, the cooling systems required for high intensity LEDs won't allow you to re-seal the bucket enclosures. Puddle splashes, bugs and dirt will get in and accumulate.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
703 Posts
TRS sells a retroquick kit for our cars. You will get quality HID projectors to replace your stock halogen projectors, ballasts, HID bulbs, and wiring. You will need to bake and take your headlight housings apart to install, or pay someone to do the install for you.

If this doesn't sound like something you are interested in then go over to Daniel Stern's site where you can get recommendations for quality somewhat brighter halogen bulbs you can use with only minimal adjustments.

I will add that my retrofit is by far my favorite upgrade I have done on my vehicles and will be something I continue to do on vehicles that do not come equipped with good headlights from the factory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
277 Posts
As already stated, don't bother with the plug n play LED bulbs. Waste of time and money. If you really want upgraded headlights, the retro quick kit from TRS that soloz2 suggested is a great option. Relatively easy to install with a little bit f skill if you are willing to open up your headlights. If you're ****-bent on LED headlights, you'd have to retrofit LED projectors into the headlight housings. TRS also sells LED specific projectors, but you would have to make custom brackets, etc to fit them into your headlight housings...

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I put LED's in my fog light fixtures and it does a great job of lighting up the TREETOPS. The local airport called me and complained that my fog lights were distracting the pilots coming in for landings. :)

·
Registered
96 Leg L, 2.2L Sdn,07 Outback 2.5i Wgn,05 Leg GT Wgn,05 OBXT Wgn
67 Posts
So I have been trying to locate some sort of LED headlight or aftermarket headlight kit for my 2009......and I cannot find anything it seems. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Okay I know I'm going to get a lot of laughs for this one. There is an app named WISH where you can buy all sorts of cheap Chinese junk. I found LED bulbs for my old 96 Legacy for like two bucks. They seem to work but I still need to clean my dull plastic lenses. Worth a shot so you can find them there cheap. Okay you can laugh now LOL because I did when I saw them.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts
TRS sells a retroquick kit for our cars. You will get quality HID projectors to replace your stock halogen projectors, ballasts, HID bulbs, and wiring. You will need to bake and take your headlight housings apart to install, or pay someone to do the install for you.

I will add that my retrofit is by far my favorite upgrade I have done on my vehicles and will be something I continue to do on vehicles that do not come equipped with good headlights from the factory.
Did you do this on yours? Any finish pics of the headlights themselves as well as output?

I'm wanting to do it, but the Mini H1 7.0's I'm hoping get an update soon, or I just a better light. The Mini H1 are good, but I'd also like to stick with D2S if possible...the choices!

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does anyone have an example of what the TRS kit looks like completed?

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
703 Posts
Did you do this on yours? Any finish pics of the headlights themselves as well as output?

I'm wanting to do it, but the Mini H1 7.0's I'm hoping get an update soon, or I just a better light. The Mini H1 are good, but I'd also like to stick with D2S if possible...the choices!
Does anyone have an example of what the TRS kit looks like completed?
Completed headlights look just like stock headlights unless you add any accessories like Halos, LED strips, etc. or you clear the corner markers.

I installed the RetroQuick kit in my OBXT and cleared the corner markers. Output is amazing. Very sharp, clear cutoff and significantly improved output. Best part is they are bi-xenon so you get improved high beams too. I do have some dashcam footage and pictures of cutoff, but not sure where they are at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally unrelated.....where does one get a hood like that?? I have been looking for a scoop everywhere!

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
703 Posts
Totally unrelated.....where does one get a hood like that?? I have been looking for a scoop everywhere!
It comes standard on the OBXT. I would recommend you buy a WRX, STi, FXT, LGT, or OBXT. Don't mess with adding a hood scoop to a NA.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,783 Posts
While you can find an LED that fit the housing, as others have said, it's a compromised solution whenever you put the LEDs into a reflector housing not designed for them. Regardless of what the LED company or retailer says, it's not an ideal set up and I doubt you'll be happy.

Instead, have you considered upgraded halogen bulbs? Not the crappy Silverstars or anything else with a blue tint on the glass. When buying halogen bulbs for upgraded performance, the first clue is that anything with a blue tint is no bueno. No bueno, no bueno and no bueno.

The Phillips H7 X-tremeVision bulbs are very good upgrade that put out up to 100% more light without having the dreaded blue tint. They are street legal and much brighter. I have them on my car and I'm very pleased with the light thrown and the tint.

So what's the downside? Bulb life. The original bulbs will run for 800 or so hours. Maybe it's 1,000 or 1,200 but it's somwhere in that ballpark. The X-tremeVision shorten that by about half but the tradeoff is brighter light at the expense of bulb life. The bulbs are not expensive and won't leave your wallet hurting. 450-600 hours of life is much longer than you might think and the quality of the light is very good.

Just remember that Blade Runner got it right decades ago with:

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts
Completed headlights look just like stock headlights unless you add any accessories like Halos, LED strips, etc. or you clear the corner markers.

I installed the RetroQuick kit in my OBXT and cleared the corner markers. Output is amazing. Very sharp, clear cutoff and significantly improved output. Best part is they are bi-xenon so you get improved high beams too. I do have some dashcam footage and pictures of cutoff, but not sure where they are at the moment.
Totally wasn't putting 2+2 together and forgot the OB's have projectors stock.

Were the Mini H1's as plug-and-play as they advertise? Fit right into the stock location and look factory? No weird spacing or anything with the H1's compared to stock projectors?

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
703 Posts
Totally wasn't putting 2+2 together and forgot the OB's have projectors stock.

Were the Mini H1's as plug-and-play as they advertise? Fit right into the stock location and look factory? No weird spacing or anything with the H1's compared to stock projectors?
Yeah, just plug and play. I had to enlarge a couple holes so bolts would fit, and it could use a shim to improve alignment, but it really is pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If this doesn't sound like something you are interested in then go over to Daniel Stern's site where you can get recommendations for quality somewhat brighter halogen bulbs you can use with only minimal adjustments.

I was looking at the kit.....does it come with everything you need for both sides or it it only a kit for the passenger side and you have to buy another for the driver side?

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While you can find an LED that fit the housing, as others have said, it's a compromised solution whenever you put the LEDs into a reflector housing not designed for them. Regardless of what the LED company or retailer says, it's not an ideal set up and I doubt you'll be happy.

Instead, have you considered upgraded halogen bulbs? Not the crappy Silverstars or anything else with a blue tint on the glass. When buying halogen bulbs for upgraded performance, the first clue is that anything with a blue tint is no bueno. No bueno, no bueno and no bueno.

The Phillips H7 X-tremeVision bulbs are very good upgrade that put out up to 100% more light without having the dreaded blue tint. They are street legal and much brighter. I have them on my car and I'm very pleased with the light thrown and the tint.

So what's the downside? Bulb life. The original bulbs will run for 800 or so hours. Maybe it's 1,000 or 1,200 but it's somwhere in that ballpark. The X-tremeVision shorten that by about half but the tradeoff is brighter light at the expense of bulb life. The bulbs are not expensive and won't leave your wallet hurting. 450-600 hours of life is much longer than you might think and the quality of the light is very good.

Just remember that Blade Runner got it right decades ago with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxHYHPzs7s
That is really what I am looking to start with. I had LED lighting on my Jeep. Now that it is gone, the stock headlights are dreadful when I drive at night. I'm just looking for a decent cost effective improvement.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm also looking into replacement tail light assemblies...with no luck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts