Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory headunits are smaller than aftermarket ones ?How do you find one to fit like the factoryones? Most I've seen are 7"wide , That would be abit obtrusive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I put my Denon headunit in my MY00 OBS, I had to remove the trim around the detachable face. It was no big deal because it was made to clip on or off depending on what you need.

See if the aftermarket unit you're considering has a removable frame around the face. The width of the headunit should be standard. In my case, the headunit wouldn't fit with the trim on (too wide). I removed it, and the dashboard bezel trim took place of the trim that came with the stereo. Looks stock now. And it also has a detachable face which still works w/o the trim.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
My advice is to ALWAYS buy audio products from Crutchfield (www.Crutchfield.com).

They offer free dash kits, free detailed step-by-step vehicle specific installation instructions, free wiring harnesses, not to mention excellent prices and good customer support.

It's worth it simply for the instructions, but everything else saves a bunch of $$$ too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Someone just gave me an older Alpine which looks like an adequate unit, but I held it up to the stock unit (with the face detached) and it looks definitely wider. The guy who gave it to me told me that when he put a stereo in his Subaru (not this unit) he had to use a dremel tool to widen the opening in the dash panel. I may consider doing that if the Alpine trim will cover up any less-than-perfect edges. I just don't see (but I haven't looked THAT hard yet) how I can fit a standard single-DIN unit in my OBS without modifying the dash panel, or finding something with a serious adapter for the face to allow it to sit in the narrower opening...

I checked Crutchfield and they offer pretty much all their single DIN units as fitting a 2002 Impreza, maybe I'll call them to see about their adapter/installation kits.

-Peter

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I know when I replaced my factory unit in my MY02 OBS, the trim piece around the radio had to stay off, but I retained all the dash trim. It's a normal DIN size pocket for the stocker, so technically 99% of any newer aftermarket should fit. Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually, upon closer inspection, it looks like the body of the Alpine unit would go completely behind (and be wider than) the dash opening, but the faceplate would connect and fit through the opening (assuming it could snap in OVER the dash trim.) It's an older unit, but since it was free, I might gamble on buying the wiring harness to see if I can make it work. I've just never had to remove dash trim to change a standard single-DIN size stereo in a car, perhaps this is just another Subie-quirk... or a security measure?

The next obvious question (to which the answer is probably out there somewhere) - how do I remove the dash trim on the 02 Impreza OBS? The only obvious option I see is to pop out the single cupholder, remove the center screw, and see if that leads to anything...

Thanks,
-Peter

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
that's it. It's really easy to get in there. One thing is that you will need a long philips screwdriver to get at the lower screws- a magnetic tip will save a lot of swearing ;)

Here's the pdf for the Subaru subwoofer install- It shows you how to remove the stereo.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Where is the easiest place to find a decent quality single DIN pocket to fill that gap when I replace the stock 2004 Outback headunit with a single DIN headunit?

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
ebay. get one from a pre-05 subie that someone has installed one of the double-DIN stereos from WRX or other higher end car into. this is pretty common.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
they sell single-DIN cubbies to fit and line up with Sub mounting holes? i wasn't aware of that. Crutchfield is a really good outfit but you pay for the convenience. my $600-on-ebay stereo wd have been $2K+ at Crutchfield. if you REALLY want to spend $ on it, yr friendly Sub dlr will no doubt sell you one...heck, they might have used one around from when they installed an upscale stereo in someone's car

remember, you can set up standing searches on ebay for items you're looking for and just check results every so often. i'd suggest "subaru cubby", "Subaru tray", "subaru DIN", "subaru single-DIN", and "Subaru dash" (AFAIK, their search software won't accomodate alternatives so you have to enter as separate searches.)

take it a step further: sell yr take-out on ebay and make part of the deal be that the buyer gives you their single-DIN pocket, as they won't need it . i can attest to the extensive mkt of folks on ebay looking to upgrade to the double-DIN factory head units

i'm still a big fan of staying with factory interior parts when possible. you might consider posting a "wanted" ad in classifieds here and other Sub sites...?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ended up getting a brand-new Alpine single-DIN unit installed in place of the factory HU. The detachable faceplate fits just inside the factory trim without modification. I think there was removable trim ring around the Alpine (my Pioneer in my last car had one) that was left out.

I'm trying to take pix of my stereo installation but my digital camera is not cooperating. My car is back at the shop this weekend for the remote starter install, when I get it back, I'll try again...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Just contacted the local Subaru dealer trying to find a single-DIN tray with a door for the 2004 Outback. Guy happily responds saying he'll sell me one that "might fit" for $26.22. What a joke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts