Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after reading and reading over and over again, finally found the right harness to match what everyone else is saying, my outback(i am sure everyone's of these models) has an extra harness to the radio i was using that found harness that plugs right into the OEM head unit trying to figure everything out but i didn't know i had to take that one off to get to the real harness that has the foam tape around it, that was the key to my troubles lol was going to take pics but the wife has the camera in her car so i never saw the it was going to take pics of everything before and after but all i got left is the hiding the wires in the trunk and i am done for abit till i find a way to use the stock placement for the axu and usb ports

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Using the stock AUX/USB is possible (I did it in my 2013), although there's a couple things to keep in mind to keep things clean as possible:

- For the AUX, I just dropped SDXvc a line about getting an adapter. As you saw, there are two harnesses. The 20-pin harness goes to the AM headunit, and the smaller 16-pin harness has the AUX lines on it. Very convenient since that means avoiding splicing of wires.

- For the USB, it gets a little more interesting. There are two versions of the AUX/USB module. One with the USB port running vertically, and one running horizontally. The one that runs horizontally has a round plug, but the one running vertically has a USB A plug.

The 2013 comes with the one that runs horizontally, but I picked up the other variety and then just ran a USB A male <-> USB A male patch cable to the aftermarket head unit. Works like a charm. Your only other option is to splice together an adapter from a USB cable and a plug. Kinda messy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts