Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day after arriving home, I turned off my engine and heard a hissing noise coming from around the radiator area that lasted about 30 seconds or so before stopping.

Yesterday when I got in the car it was a bit warmer out and I went to turn on the A/C and got no cool air whatsoever. I am not even sure if the compressor was running or not.

The only clue I have is the hissing I heard which may or may not be related.

If anybody has any ideas before I give up and take it in to get looked at it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Has the car ever been in a wreck or fender bender?

First step is:
1. check the pressure, how much it's holding and then
assuming it's low (because it probably is),
2. charge it first and see how long it holds before leaking again.

A/C is generally no big deal, probably just low on refrigerant due to a leak. my guess is i could fix it in 15 minutes for a few bucks, i have a thread about it. i wrote an article about it:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/43428-diy-c-air-conditioning-leak-refrigerant-repair-5-less-15-minutes-less.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply!

It was in a minor collision back in Feb. (scratched bumper and bent license plate, but nothing too bad) I had it all replaced since it was covered by insurance but have had no problems since then. I suppose it could have slowly been causing the problem and it finally blew.

I wonder if I can get the insurance to pay for it if it can be proven it was from the collision...

I assume the hissing was from a leak and would need to be recharged either way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I checked the schrader valve and there was zero pressure. I would go ahead and recharge the system myself, but I am wondering how long that would last.

The A/C was icy cold last weekend, but after the hissing there was nothing.

If it was the o-ring like the tutorial above said, then would I have heard the hissing? I am not entirely sure where it was coming from, but it seemed like the radiator area, so I am not sure it was the seal.

I may just recharge it and see what happens. Worst case is I can pinpoint the leak myself that way. There is probably a much better and more environmentally safe way to do that, so if anybody has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You should contact your insurance company and tell them there was damage that wasn't located till now or the repairs weren't done correctly. They should act as your agent to get the repairs done as a follow-up from the original accident.

I wouldn't touch it till I talked to them. That way they can't blame you for increasing the damage.

Just :2cents:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem is it was a "no fault" accident since a third car left the scene, so my insurance fixed my car and his fixed his car. I think they waived any further responsibility after I signed off on the work when I picked it up from their repair facility. I may check tomorrow though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
shabby47
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing