Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 legacy outback 3.0 sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '02 legacy outback 3.0, 150,000 miles. We replaced the radiator because of a leak, thermostat & air filter. Originally I had to put the temp up to 80 to get heat in the car, after a time I could turn it down but again would have to turn it up to get heat as it would start to blow cooler air after a time. Since the work was done it had been better but again is starting to act up, I have turn the temp up to 85, back down to 72-74 but after a time will blow cool air & has difficulty warming up again. The engine temp has been fine, coolant levels have been fine since the radiator was replaced, tho I haven't checked recently. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
possibly an air bubble needs to be 'burped' out.

not sure I understand but, was this symptom there before the radiator work?

was an OEM thermostat installed? 'typical' aftermarkets are known to not work well in soobs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heat issue was there prior to the radiator being replaced.

Yes, it was an OEM thermostat.

To further explain, when starting off the heat works well, about 15-20 mins into the ride cooler air starts blowing out the defrost but hot air still blowing out by the feet, I switch to defrost only & it's still cooler air & I have to continually fidget with the temp to be comfortable.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
seems like a blend door is acting up - any clicking noise when this happens?

are you losing coolant or is the overflow tank filling up?

kinda weird

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed any clicking noises

Today, hot air til about 45-50 minutes into my drive then cooler air. I set the temp at 80 & left it there, didn't lower it or change the fan.

I checked the coolant, the radiator is full but the overflow tank is at low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove for 30 minutes today, turned the heat down to 76 & still got really warm, someone has mentioned ac compressor, thoughts?
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts