Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, was fixing the exhaust on our 2004 Legacy Sedan and knocked the heat shield under the gas tank off...Ive taken the one over the muffler off in the past but the gas tank makes me a little nervous i tried clamping the shield directly on the pipe and it dissipates the heat pretty good, you can still touch the pip on top after 20 minutes of running but I dont like to mess with gas tanks...is there any heat wrap I can use...the brackets and the shield dont have enough meat to reattach

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
YES! There are "heat wraps" available and they are very efficient and keeping the heat in the pipe. Do some research to decide for yourself if you are willing to live with the drawbacks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just word of caution for the heat wraps...I was looking for solutions to fix a heat shield rattle and thought I would give the wrap a try.

I didn't realize they were made with fiberglass. The thought of wrapping the exhaust parts under the car with fiberglass did not give me warm and fuzzies. The reviews confirmed my concerns

·
Registered
469 Posts
Disagree with heat-wrapping as a solution. The steel shield is the only thing to use. The air gaps between are sufficient to prevent heat soak. But the radiant heat will be an issue, you’ll still get cooking occurring when idling.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
YES! There are "heat wraps" available and they are very efficient and keeping the heat in the pipe. Do some research to decide for yourself if you are willing to live with the drawbacks.
BruceP,,,thanks could you elaborate? ...Im not seeing any drawbacks.... sounds like a cheap and easy way to get back the protection under the tank...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel like it is necessary. It's just really pricey but still, have it so it won't catch into a fire and feel like it would prevent from overheating.

·
Premium Member
12,009 Posts
Since we are talking about the heat shield back at the gas tank, all you will accomplish with heat wrap is not only holding in heat from the exhaust in the pipes, but when the wrap heats up, you still get radiant heat transfer up to the tank.

The aluminum shield is the best way to go because it allows for the air gaps between the pipe and shield and the tank and shield. The aluminum will also help prevent road debris from impacting the tank. So it's multi-purpose.

I suggest you find a Subaru in a salvage yard and pop a shield off the tank. Or, make one yourself if you have a supplier around that sells aluminum in sheets. Or, hit the home improvement stores for HVAC ducting and modify.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
cardoc, I know air space is the most effective heat sink and I can get a new aftermarket Shield for only $40 but Unfortunately replacing the heat shield is not an option, car has moderately high under carrige rust the brackets that hold the shield to the gas tank straps are wasted and touching anything in that area will have a snowball effect...I did have a guy who works extensively on Soobs tell me not to worry he removes it all the time and I read on another site that a Subaru dealer actually removed the same one from a customers late model rattler (I would have been wild on that one)...Despite this I still want to make the car a little safer, I did order the header wrap so Im going to give it a shot but I thought the whole idea of them was to prevent radiant heat under the hood...it insulates it in... Ill post after I try it....Im also considering adhesive reflective insulation directly on the plastic tank to reflect back down ...keep in mind this isnt a forever car, Im estimating this frame has a safe life of maybe two more years

1 - 10 of 10 Posts