Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious how folks have resolved rattling of the heat shields around the exhaust pipes.. my 2013 limited has only 39k miles and has developed an obnoxious rattle coming from below at certain RPMs... I’ve not verified that this is the cause because my foot is broken, but I assume this it it.

My initial thought was to take some steel wool and stuff it between the pipe and shields... then use some clamps and tighten the two together ...

My buddy chimed in and suggested that the wool could potentially catch fire due to heat, which I am not certain is even possible...

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions not involving the stealership???

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
554 Posts
Mine got bent after driving through high water. I was able to bend it back by hand and that fixed it. You might try that. If one of the brackets have broken loose then that's another issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine got bent after driving through high water. I was able to bend it back by hand and that fixed it. You might try that. If one of the brackets have broken loose then that's another issue.
I’ll definitely check that out if/when it ever stops raining.. lol

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
341 Posts
In the past I have always just ripped rattling heat shields out of my car. I think I am down to only one left in my 15 year old Vibe. The salt around here do a great job of making sure they don't last long. The other option is to use a fender washer on the bolt to keep the heat shield held in place. Typically the shield itself wears out a hole too big for the original bolt to hold it in place.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On mine, the fasteners rusted out. I just removed whatever was left and replaced them with stainless nuts & bolts. Done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still hobbled with a broken foot... had the guys at valvoline see if they could just bend it off the pipe... but they were no help... I’ll be stuck with this rattling annoyance till the end of the month when I get these pins removed from my foot... then I might try the hacksaw/clamp trick... seems most viable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts