Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 outback sedan limited. it has heated seats and heated mirrors.
The switch for the mirrors is not lighting up anymore when i press it, and it does not seem to work. I've checked the fuse and it's ok, do i have to replace the entire window switch assembly to get this fixed?

Also, my driver side seat heater switch has no light when pressed in both direction. Fuse is ok, but i assume i can just replace this switch and be good to go?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Both are pretty common issues. Most of the 1st and 2nd gen heated seat switches I have have burned out bulbs.

They *may* be replaceable without replacing the switch.

Ditto for the heated mirror switch. . about half of the ones I have are burned out. It really doesn't hurt them to run if you accidentally leave them on. . slightly more drag on the alternator so might use a few ounces more gas per tank but that's about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both so much! I got the bulbs and will replace them later, hopefully the actuall switches are not faulty.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
You can feel if the seats and mirror heaters are working. The 'feel' test for the seats is pretty obvious. . . check them on HI as it runs the back/bottom heater elements in parallel so if one of them is out the other will still work. . . so you can tell which (if either) is faulty.

Mirrors take a little while to heat up but you can feel it with your hand by touching the glass after they've been on for a while. Won't born you but you can feel it's warm. . . or just wait for a foggy morning and watch the outline of the heater appear as it warms up. There will be a 1/2" or so border around the outside edge of the glass where it overlaps the heating element that will not defog immediately if it's working.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey,

I replaced both light bulbs in my driver side switch and none of them light up, switch still does not provide heat but bulbs don't work eitehr.

When i installed the bulbs initially i tested them on the switch, and they worked just fine..

What could be the culprit, is it just a bad switch?

My mirrors don't defrost at all, i think i need a new switch.

Thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dumb question, but your fuses are good, right? IIRC, the heated mirrors and heated seats are on the same circuit/fuse.

*EDIT* Now I see where you said your fuse was good. Sorry. But still sounds related to the circuit. Seems odd that the switches or heaters themselves would all quit. Odd, but not impossible either.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
Which fuse, or fuses, did you check, and how did you check? Was it only visually; did you measure for continuity; or did you replace with a new one?

Is it only the side mirror heaters that do not seem to work, or are both mirrors also not adjustable (up/down/left/right)?

Is there power at the front accessory power outlet?

Do the vanity mirror lights (in the sunshades) work?

According to the wiring diagrams I have, the seat heater system has two circuits, relay control and main power, that are separately fused. One of the two fuses (the one for relay control) is also the source of power for the remote controlled rear view mirrors, where it supplies both the mirror positioning motors and the mirror heater. In addition, this same fuse powers the front accessory power outlet (cigarette lighter), and the vanity mirror lights.

The fuse that is common to all the systems is fuse #4 (20 Amps), in the in-cabin fuse panel (dashboard, to the left of the steering column).

While it is possible that there could be a broken wire common to all, it's not likely; nor is a common ground a strong possibility. But the fact that one fuse is involved in several circuits that might all not be functioning suggests verifying that the right fuse was checked, and double-checking that it's good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey,
i checked the fuse visually and replaced it with a new one..i have a lot of spare fuses.
The mirror positioning works fine, they both move ok. The front accessory outlet does light up at night, however i did not check by plugging anything in.. The sunshade mirrors do have the light.
My passenger side heater switch works just fine, odd right?

I think i may need a new switch for a mirror and driver side heat..BOO ;(

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
I've attached wiring diagrams for the seat heaters and for the mirrors. (These particular single-page diagrams are from 2002 but I checked to see that it's the same.)

For the seat heater switch I'd start by checking at pin 3 of connector R43 to see if that pin goes to ground. Then I'd check at pin 5 of connector R43 for 12V when the key is turned to ACC.

Looking at the diagram, if both the ground and power is good to the connector, then there's no reason, other than an internally defective switch, for the "ON" light to not come on when the switch is in either HI or LO position.

Also, with the diagram, it should be possible to test the switch for continuity between the various pins with the switch at the HI and LO positions.

Much the same can be done with the mirror situation, although access to the switch might be a bit more difficult. If the positioning works fine, there's always the possibility that the heater elements at the mirrors are open circuit, or that the heaters are fine but it's just the bulb that's out. How did you check to see if the heaters are working? Probably best to use an infra-red remote thermometer to detect temperature rise when the switch is on.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the diagrams that will help tremendously.. i will check later today and see if the driver side switch is bad, or if it's something in the wiring.. I wish passenger and driver were interchangable.

On the mirror, It's been really cold here lately, almost freezing..And i had the switch on for some time and no Square or rectangular fog is left over when on..There is also no heat on the mirror if you touch them.

I don't have that type of tool, probably will be cheaper to buy a new switch then to buy that lol.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the help, i've fixed it for about $4 of parts.

The heated seat switch on the passenger side was not illuminating so i just replaced the bulb, that one is all well.

Driver side did not provide heat to the seat or illuminate while switch is ON.. The plastic element inside the switch that moves the contacts across the board, was installed wrong. Now the light illuminates when on and the actual switch does heat the seat!! :) :) hahah

the mirror was just a bad light bulb, replaced the bulb and it's ok now..
Wow, some weird issues here.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future that has similar problems.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
Great! Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Man all the pictures from this area dead.. but i pulled it off. Gonna be ordering another box of bulbs soon, replaced 3 in the fog/cruise/wiper heaters, and now both bulbs in both heater switches.

·
Registered
188 Posts
those heated seat switches are way more difficult.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2001 OBW H6 has the problem with the heated mirrors, both always worked then one day ceased to function, the adjustment function still operates as do all the other items mentioned in previous posts, even the light on the switch comes on but no heat in either mirror, I'm guessing there's a relay somewhere in the circuit as I doubt if the load of the mirror heaters is directly switched from the button on the door?
Thanks
Graham

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
hfarthington
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing