Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,the heated driver seat on my 07 acts very weird. It doesn't seem to matter what setting it's on, it gets very hot for about five minutes then cools down until it's basically cold. Then heats back up and repeats the cycle. Are these seats run off a thermostat? Any idea what is going On? The pass. Seat doesn't fluctuate like this.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
I haven't found anything specific for the 2005-9, but the attached clip from Subaru TechTips of March 2003 shows how it was then.

With our multi-position heater control, the different temperature settings are probably implemented by switching the connections to the heater elements, so that they are in various series-parallel configurations. At the lower settings, the current would be limited, and so the temperature might not reach the thermostat Off temperature. When on high heat, however, the thermostat(s) might well kick in. (I rarely use mine, so can't confidently describe how it works.)

If it takes the same time for the seat to get very hot in all the control "on" positions, then there could be a short (in the heater pad, or perhaps the switch itself) that's simply connecting all the elements in parallel (would be the highest overall current/wattage dissipation) regardless of the actual setting.

I've attached the wiring diagram, and a section dealing with testing the seat heater system, both from the 2007 FSM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
So,the heated driver seat on my 07 acts very weird. It doesn't seem to matter what setting it's on, it gets very hot for about five minutes then cools down until it's basically cold. Then heats back up and repeats the cycle. Are these seats run off a thermostat? Any idea what is going On? The pass. Seat doesn't fluctuate like this.

I have read posts describing the issues with the grid in the heated seats having broken or damaged wires - especially in the driver's seat bottom.

What you could be experiencing is the seat heats up and a damaged wire breaks the heater circuit until it cools down and the connection is re-established...

Just a guess. You can pull the seat without a lot of work then remove the hog rings from the seat frame and remove the seat cover to expose the heater grid. As I understand it, you'll be able to see burn marks where bad connections are present. Some on here have repaired the wiring by resoldiering the wires and have had good success.

There is a description and photos on a thread here somewhere.......

Good Luck!

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ideas guys. I believe the time to get hot is the same on all settings, and I think they are almost all the same temp. Kinda makes me think the thermostat is kicking it off. But, it's easily 5 minutes after it kicks off that it starts to get warm again. And on cold mornings, the seat isn't warm at that point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts