Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the vehicles on the 3 dealers lots I have visited have the "All Weather Package" with heated seats, etc. While I realize that Florida is not the biggest Subaru market, how about sending some cars without this feature. I am not going to spend $500 on a feature I will never use (the salesperson told me it is useful for back aches) After all, it is 90 degrees + 7 months of the year, and 50 degrees in winter is considered an Arctic Blast.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Why buy AWD in Florida?? Seems like you could buy RWD vehicles down there.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Maybe they think you'd like to escape the swamp once in awhile? They are trying to encourage exploration.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I actually agree 100%. I would like a Premium for the tinted windows, but do not need the all weather package. Turns out this is as rare as hens teeth. I do believe they are out there however, I've just never seen one.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Limited
46 Posts
Actually I do use my heated seats in the summer both in my Subie and my work truck. On long drives do make the back and hips feel a bit better...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let's forget about whether people in FL might find heated seats nice (I live in Phoenix and use mine all the time), do you really expect any manufacturer to custom tailor vehicles to just one part of the country? Should the "port" guess whether or not the ultimate buyer will have a garage before installing the Homelink mirror?

Bottom line, the cars are built to support the greatest number of potential buyers. Why do you think Subaru should cater to your small minority desires?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I was skeptical about the heated seats, although I wanted the heated mirrors. that was then. Now, even in the summer, a little warmth on the achy back feels so great. I would not be without them. A must on any future vehicle. Even my wife likes the warm seats.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Actually I do use my heated seats in the summer both in my Subie and my work truck. On long drives do make the back and hips feel a bit better...
I agree. I use them in July sometimes specifically for this reason.

Besides, when it's in the 50s (does it ever get that cool in Florida?) it's tough to beat driving down the highway at night with the sunroof open and just the heated seats on.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
I agree. I use them in July sometimes specifically for this reason.

Besides, when it's in the 50s (does it ever get that cool in Florida?) it's tough to beat driving down the highway at night with the sunroof open and just the heated seats on.
You bet your sweet bippy it gets that cool in Florida (Northeast Florida, anyway).

We get down in the low 30's every winter on a few occasions.

I like the AWP (and AWD) for the obligatory drive up North at Christmas.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
Well I searched Serramonte Subaru's new inventory and they have two Premiums without the AWP, one is Venetian Red, the other is Caramel Bronze. Theoretically, they do exist.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
You bet your sweet bippy it gets that cool in Florida (Northeast Florida, anyway).

We get down in the low 30's every winter on a few occasions.

I like the AWP (and AWD) for the obligatory drive up North at Christmas.
Good to know. I've never actually been south of Connecticut so I'm not too familiar with non-New England weather :D

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Unless you're the rare bird that pays MSRP, you're not paying $500 for the AWP anyway. Most of us buy these at some amount "over cost" and cost on that package is around $400 IIRC and frankly, it's worth having for cool evenings, after the gym, of if you EVER transport a woman..... ;)

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
There's nothing like warm buns~~

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I am amazed at some of comments as to why buying a Subaru in FL. Not everybody around here sits at home and watches TV as apparently some of the posters have suggested. Some of us here drive to places that many of those posters have never been or never will be.
I for myself use seat heater quote often as the temps do dip into 30's even here in FL. Also, as a skier, I have driven numerous times to Colorado, Whistler, Lake Louise, Mt. Tremblant - just to name a few. And, how many of those skeptic poster have driven the Demsey Hwy in Alaska (In Brooks Range), Dempster Highway, top of the world highway in Yukon Territory (Klondike) or drove the haul road to Prudhoe Bay.... just amazing....have a nice day!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Let's forget about whether people in FL might find heated seats nice (I live in Phoenix and use mine all the time), do you really expect any manufacturer to custom tailor vehicles to just one part of the country? Should the "port" guess whether or not the ultimate buyer will have a garage before installing the Homelink mirror?

Bottom line, the cars are built to support the greatest number of potential buyers. Why do you think Subaru should cater to your small minority desires?
Actually the dealer orders what options they want for the cars. All weather package is not "standard" so it's dealer added.

Most dealers do this for profit reasons. The more they can charge, the more profit they get. Why doesn't the OP just order what they want?

I almost ordered my car because I did not want the heated seats. I'm so happy I decided to get the car on the lot with heated seats, one of the best things after awd imo. They will now be in any car I own going forward and I think all my family and friends cars too. I find the heated seats are great for a sore back, before the car warms up (little colder here in WA) and great for manual temp control if you have two people that like different temperatures. I don't have a limited after all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why buy AWD in Florida?? Seems like you could buy RWD vehicles down there.
You are correct, not much need for AWD in FL. At 6'6" I am limited in car selection and the Subie seems to fit OK. I think the AWD will be great in the summer when we have thunderstorms and
heavy rain every day in Central Florida

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
SOA already knows what config sells per region, and factory production is a finite number. Dealers get their inventory (sales performance quota) as soon as the factory builds/ships them. It’s a business, you cannot sell outright what you don’t stock. There’s no (time/projections) point in ordering every OB on the lot. We’ll take the pink, there’s always a buyer or discount it at end of mo – win, win.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
There were plenty non-awp when we got ours, but I got ours with it for the heated mirrors (of which we still don’t use the seats, and we’re in CO). So I got the heated mirrors/windshield for $500 but as alluded above, moot as you don’t pay sticker for it.<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts