Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you have a heated steering wheel on your car? i would like to either mod or replace mine instead of a heated cover. ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did you get one? To me, this is one of the biggest oversights with Subarus. Heated steering wheels are great and I would pay for one. I know a lot of people say wear gloves or mittens, but when I'm driving to work in a suit, a heated steering wheel would be much nicer than wearing gloves. Especially when you need to handle radio, nav, other controls.

The Dodge Charger has one by making it part of the adaptive cruise control package (since the wiring goes in the steering wheel). That's no more of an upscale car than my Outback Limited.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
Remote start eliminates the need for heated steering wheel??

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I'm guessing you could probably send it away to someone like this:

Craft Customs Steering Wheels and Wood Dashes

and have a heating element added. Next challenge would be finding a clockspring (roll connector) that will support it. If your car has no steering wheel audio controls/whatnot you could probably get away with buying a clockspring for a car that does have those features and using those wires to get power to the heater.

I kinda wonder if a Nissan wheel would bolt onto the column, given Subaru's propensity to share some parts (filters, locks, keys, etc.) with them. . .

Maximas had heated wheels all the way back in 2002!

·
Registered
2006 OBW 2.5i 4at LTD
184 Posts
Every time we start to shed the idea that an OB is a woman's car you guys start talking like this.

A heated steering wheel?

Man up!

Gloves?

I do love my heated seats though, especially on days like today.:D

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Every time we start to shed the idea that an OB is a woman's car you guys start talking like this.

A heated steering wheel?

Man up!

Gloves?

whoa whoa whoa. . . . Subarus are for lesbians. . Miatas are for gay men. Get it straight (pun intended).

I have both. . . wonder what that says about me?

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
"I have both. . . wonder what that says about me?

I think it means you'd never be stuck for a date on Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
my bisexual English prof used to say "any port in a storm!"

To his dismay, I'm very much straight. And, I suppose, confident enough to drive a Miata.

I draw the line at pink shirts, tho.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i, AT.
9 Posts
How cold does it get where you guys are that you need a heated steering wheel?
I think if the car has been sitting in anything <20F, the steering wheel has a really frosty feel to it. It wouldn't bother me a whole lot in a commute. But if I'm out in the field on a job, and I have to get in/out of the car constantly with the ice cold steering wheel, it kind of sucks.

·
Registered
2006 OBW 2.5i 4at LTD
184 Posts
The truck I drove for 14 years before the OB had a Hurst aluminum T handle shift knob. A few times when real cold with wet hands from clearing snow from the windows my hand stuck (froze) to the shift knob for a short time until it warmed enough.

It was a Cummins diesel with a huge hunk of cast iron for the block that took a while to warm, it didn't get warm in the truck until about 10 miles of driving.

Now, the Subaru is blowing warm air before I get down my driveway, heated seats, leather covered shifter knob...I going to get soft driving this thing.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,089 Posts
This can be viewed as an engineering challenge. For example, since the steering wheel has a metal core, maybe heating could be accomplished inductively, without modifications to the clockspring. Or maybe, with conventional wiring, one can get by with something that operates only when the wheel is close to the straight-ahead position. Should be enough in most cases. Just thinking aloud.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts

A heated steering wheel?

Man up!

Gloves?

Gotta have the warm seat.

The truck I drove for 14 years before the OB had a Hurst aluminum T handle shift knob. A few times when real cold with wet hands from clearing snow from the windows my hand stuck (froze) to the shift knob for a short time until it warmed enough.

It was a Cummins diesel with a huge hunk of cast iron for the block that took a while to warm, it didn't get warm in the truck until about 10 miles of driving.
No gloves, eh?? :)

Now, the Subaru is blowing warm air before I get down my driveway, heated seats, leather covered shifter knob...I going to get soft driving this thing.
You'll take it off road in the snow and mud and like it, then you'll get yourself sorted.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I dunno, Cold most be pretty subjective. Because I'll happily take +20 degree's any day during winter. Here, it was -26 yesterday AM. And -10 today.

While it'd be nice to have a warm wheel, we just warm our vehicles up some before driving. Point the dash vents towards the wheel for a few mins.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 premium 6mt - 19mm RSB, 2" Hidden Hitch, debadged, plasti-dip'd
30 Posts
Up until last week I would have agreed that a heated wheel was silly, but I rented a car with heat on the weekend and I really liked it - heat to skin seems to makes you feel warmer than gloves blocking out cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts