Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running these? I'm not referring to the heated portion of the windshield that keeps the wiperblade from sticking to the window, but instead actual heated wiper blades.

The ones that always stand out online are the EverBlades.
Heated Wiper Blades | Everblades Windshield Wipers

I don't see much from them online though other than a post here and there on random forums over the past 10+ years. Does anyone here run these or something similar?

On our Grand Cherokee and my Wrangler, the wipers always get icy when traveling to the point that I have to pull over and smack them to clear the ice. Would be nice to just flip a switch and not worry about it.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
639 Posts
Is anyone running these? I'm not referring to the heated portion of the windshield that keeps the wiperblade from sticking to the window, but instead actual heated wiper blades.

The ones that always stand out online are the EverBlades.
Heated Wiper Blades | Everblades Windshield Wipers

I don't see much from them online though other than a post here and there on random forums over the past 10+ years. Does anyone here run these or something similar?

On our Grand Cherokee and my Wrangler, the wipers always get icy when traveling to the point that I have to pull over and smack them to clear the ice. Would be nice to just flip a switch and not worry about it.
I like this idea...though not enough to pay that kind of money. I will say in my experience (in VA it only snows for a day or so at a time) it seems the type of wiper frame matters a lot for how well they work in the winter. I think it was Michelin brand that seemed to have the springs and pivots enclosed in a shroud so they wouldn't freeze up as easily and that worked nicely. Ones where all the little springs and pivots are exposed seem to get ice and stop following the glass and then you have to get out and clear it to make them work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like this idea...though not enough to pay that kind of money. I will say in my experience (in VA it only snows for a day or so at a time) it seems the type of wiper frame matters a lot for how well they work in the winter. I think it was Michelin brand that seemed to have the springs and pivots enclosed in a shroud so they wouldn't freeze up as easily and that worked nicely. Ones where all the little springs and pivots are exposed seem to get ice and stop following the glass and then you have to get out and clear it to make them work.
I see what you are saying. A smooth plastic wiper or even a metal one with a rubber boot would probably work sufficiently.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
639 Posts
I see what you are saying. A smooth plastic wiper or even a metal one with a rubber boot would probably work sufficiently.
Yeah - basically anything so ice can't build up on the "mechanism" that makes it follow the contour of the window.

It may still require clearing due to packed snow building up below the wiper blades where they park and you may need to toggle on defrost now and then for that lower heat thing to work where the wipers "park" but for the cost difference I'd try some different styles of wipers first.

I had some that were supposed to be a single spring-wire and no "mechanism" that I was disappointed by even in normal rain so I'll suggest against those but there's a number of designs to pick from.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,173 Posts
Even on the booted one's, I've found that it helps if you occasionally spray the boots with a silicone spray.

Rain-X on the windshield and windows also helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts