Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,409 Posts
Heat the air before the coolant gets hot. Maybe it maintains heat when start/stop turns off the water pump.

The PTC heating element is in the lower left corner.

Reactions: jzsubaru

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts
SilverOnyx,

So how does your car behave, in terms of heating, with those three PTC relays pulled? Do you now use "normal" temperature settings? Any other side-effects?

What I notice with my car (relays still in) is that once the coolant temp has fully stabilized, then the heating works normally, with normal temperature settings. So I only set the temp controls down while the coolant is still warming up. In other words, if the outside temp calls for heating, when I am starting out with cold coolant I will set the temperature settings down to 64 or so. Then, once the coolant temp is at its stable position, I set the temp back up to 70, and everything works fine from that point on. (I do it in a few steps, as the coolant temp rises - for example, 64 to 66 to 68 to 70.) That makes me think that if the auxiliary heaters are un-powered, that the heating system will work properly with normal temperature settings, although obviously it will also take a while to get any real heating.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,409 Posts
I have used the heater with the PTC relays removed for experimental purposes and as far as I can tell the heat is fine as it would be with any normal car that used engine coolant for heating. I have not noticed any side-effects. Since I live in Hawaii I also took off the relay for the mirror defroster and the wiper deicer. The rear defroster is still active because on rare occasions I need that.

From an emissions point of view it might be possible that the car doesn't want you to extract heat from the coolant too soon because it will delay the engine from fully warming up as quickly, but isn't that what the thermostat is there for?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
507 Posts
I have emailed Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado about the problem. Their response was that they have see a few of these and most are fixed by doing the latest CCU update and then adjusting the temperature control setting in the CCU with the Subaru Diagnostic laptop. He said he would send me a step-by-step when back in the office sometime next week. I'll post it when I get it.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
I live in Tucson. How is the AC?
The A/C seems to be as good as most vehicles. This past summer, here in s. CA, we went for a drive where the outside temp reached 114° and the A/C was performing like most vehicles. Your know this but will state anyway. If the outside temp is hotter than the cabin temp go to recirculate which will not bring down the cargo area very fast. I also find that the color of the interior and body paint will make differences.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
507 Posts
I have emailed Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado about the problem. Their response was that they have see a few of these and most are fixed by doing the latest CCU update and then adjusting the temperature control setting in the CCU with the Subaru Diagnostic laptop. He said he would send me a step-by-step when back in the office sometime next week. I'll post it when I get it.
I have received a step-by-step from the Service Director at Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado:

Install the most recent 2020 flash drive update to make sure the CCM and audio system are on the newest version.
Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize
Go to setting temperature shift
Set to desired setting, it goes from -3 to +3, I have found that most of the cars are coming from the factory set at +3, I set my own personal car to 0 and it seems to be pretty close to ambient temperature.
It has fixed all the cars except the one that was having a sensor problem.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,693 Posts
I have received a step-by-step from the Service Director at Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado:

Install the most recent 2020 flash drive update to make sure the CCM and audio system are on the newest version.
Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize
Set to desired setting, it goes from -3 to +3, I have found that most of the cars are coming from the factory set at +3, I set my own personal car to 0 and it seems to be pretty close to ambient temperature.
Good information!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts

Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize
Very interesting. I guess one question is whether the same thing can be done without the Subaru diagnostic laptop (the SSM4?), by putting the car into either dealer mode, or maintenance mode (using the same or similar procedure as was needed to do the 504 software update yourself.)

Or, put another way, is there a step-by-step procedure that the owner can do "at home", that doesn't require the dealer's special diagnostic equipment?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,409 Posts
Very interesting. I guess one question is whether the same thing can be done without the Subaru diagnostic laptop (the SSM4?), by putting the car into either dealer mode, or maintenance mode (using the same or similar procedure as was needed to do the 504 software update yourself.)

Or, put another way, is there a step-by-step procedure that the owner can do "at home", that doesn't require the dealer's special diagnostic equipment?
Sadly I don't think so but there's the other thread where you can possibly do it with the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
507 Posts
Very interesting. I guess one question is whether the same thing can be done without the Subaru diagnostic laptop (the SSM4?),
Don't forget about the step about the most recent CCM (Climate Control Module) update.
I sent him my version numbers (below) and he said it looked like it needs updating, but said the only way to know for sure is to do the most recent 2020 flash drive update. That seems to imply that just having 504 isn't necessarily the most current CCM update.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,693 Posts
Don't forget about the step about the most recent CCM (Climate Control Module) update.
I sent him my version numbers (below) and he said it looked like it needs updating, but said the only way to know for sure is to do the most recent 2020 flash drive update. That seems to imply that just having 504 isn't necessarily the most current CCM update.

View attachment 497788
Any way you could try to get a hold of the flash drive if there indeed was a newer update?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
507 Posts
Any way you could try to get a hold of the flash drive if there indeed was a newer update?
Sorry no, I'm in Wisconsin, and I just contacted the Colorado dealer for info because that's who Regger64 said had been working with Subaru on this to fix his. I wanted to lay the groundwork on this first as my dealer is 90 miles away.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited
16 Posts
Today I took my Outback to Bath Subaru in Bath, ME, with my heater way overshooting when cold and the instructions from Valley Subaru. Service advisor told me he couldn't find any way to get reimbursed from Subaru to make the simple adjustment and the owner of Bath Subaru, standing nearby, determined that they would have to charge me 1/2 hour's labor, $60, to check the setting and adjust. Car still in warranty. Does that sound about right? To me, it sounds like my buying the Limited there made no difference to them and any idea of customer satisfaction mattered not the least.

Their advice, call Subaru, get them to cover the cost, and then I can drive 2 hours round trip and give them Subaru's money to do the job.

So, a question, is it only Subaru dealer service who has equipment that can monitor and adjust the Temperature Shift setting? Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...To me, it sounds like my buying the Limited there made no difference to them and any idea of customer satisfaction mattered not the least.
So, a question, is it only Subaru dealer service who has equipment that can monitor and adjust the Temperature Shift setting? Thanks.
Yeah, that's pretty poor customer relations. Should be covered under warranty I'd think. It's a function of the car that's not working properly.

Only someone with the Subaru computer system I believe. Not sure whether any independents may have that or some third-party substitute.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,175 Posts
Today I took my Outback to Bath Subaru in Bath, ME, with my heater way overshooting when cold and the instructions from Valley Subaru. Service advisor told me he couldn't find any way to get reimbursed from Subaru to make the simple adjustment and the owner of Bath Subaru, standing nearby, determined that they would have to charge me 1/2 hour's labor, $60, to check the setting and adjust. Car still in warranty. Does that sound about right? To me, it sounds like my buying the Limited there made no difference to them and any idea of customer satisfaction mattered not the least.

Their advice, call Subaru, get them to cover the cost, and then I can drive 2 hours round trip and give them Subaru's money to do the job.

Them figuring out how to get paid shouldn’t be your problem. That’s pretty bad.

[email protected]

just be advised it takes several days to a week for them to respond.

Reactions: Beukema

·
Registered
3 Posts
jumping on the old thread too. funny thing is i have a 2020 legacy xt. we share a lot of the same stuff so not surprised it has issues. like a few of you i am in NC.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Plug in the SSM4
Go to Diagnosis
Select the vehicle
Go to each system
Go to air conditioning
Go to customize

Went to the dealer for the most recent software update and also printed the above climate adjustment instructions for the service manager since like many of you my temperature settings seem to be out of whack in a sense that the temperature setting seemed to result in a cabin that was way too hot. They performed the climate adjustments per the instructions (were indeed at +3 and they re-set it to 0) no problem and now my temperature setting is notably more true. Meaning that when I set it to 68, it doesn't feel like it is 75 in the car and much closer to what say my house feels like at 68.

The above instructions I bet would fix the majority of the complaints here.

Thank you to whoever provided these instructions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why does it seem that when I have the climate control system set to "Full" "Auto" it is blowing hot air at high fan speed even when I have the temp set to 68? I'm roasting and the heat is still cranking away.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts