Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT and 05 Outback 3.0R
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Outback 3.0r. The 2 hoses are connected to the heater core. It looks like the bottom hose is the inlet and the upper is the outlet. Is that correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
Your photo shows the inlet hose (from the engine) at the bottom, and the outlet hose (to the water pump) at the top; same as mine and probably standard in this generation.

But even if reversed, I don't think it would matter for the heater to work. There's no valves or thermostats in the heater plumbing.

Are you dealing with a problem?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT and 05 Outback 3.0R
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your photo shows the inlet hose (from the engine) at the bottom, and the outlet hose (to the water pump) at the top; same as mine and probably standard in this generation.

But even if reversed, I don't think it would matter for the heater to work. There's no valves or thermostats in the heater plumbing.

Are you dealing with a problem?
Yes. I'm not getting heat on the passenger side. It blowing out cold air.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
The dual climate system uses just one heater core. However, there's a divider inside the heater box, and two "air mix" vanes, one for each side. The two vanes direct air through or around the heater core depending on the temperature setting.

It's possible that the heater core is somewhat clogged on one side, so that even with the vane set to direct all the air through the core, there's little warming of the air. Another possibility, which is not uncommon, is that the actuator (electric motor) that adjusts the air mix vane for the passenger side isn't working, and is stuck at the cold setting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,090 Posts

Here's the reason the inlet and outlet are arranged this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon

But you're correct, with forced pumping thermosiphon isn't necessary; it would still work even if reversed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts