Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Subaru Outback.

Everything had been working well until this morning. The ventilation fan now seems to only be blowing at half speed. All the speed settings are working, it's just that at each speed setting it's only blowing half as much as it used to. All of the modes are working too (defrost, mix defrost+floor, floor, etc). It's the just the overall fan speed.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix? Could it be a fuse that is blown?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
860 Posts
Isn't it still under warranty?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,628 Posts
take it in anyway - if the dealership balks, ask them if they need an OK from SOA. Then, call the regional rep w'ever.

sometimes, they'l work a deal like - you pay for parts and they comp the labor.

I suppose it may be a good idea to check the cabin air filter too.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
eueq,

I run across this problem several times on other makes and years, and I suspect your Subie is the same. The fan runs at its fastest speed when it receives a full 12 volts. To get the slower speeds there is a blower resistor inline with the switch to the fan, which cuts back the voltage in stages (according to the fan switch speed setting) to slow the fan down.

It sounds like either your fan has a reduced voltage from a section of the blower resistor malfunction, or that corrosion of some portion of the line has reduced the voltage. You might also have a bearing that is starting to seize up, and its slowing the fan down.

I'd place money on the blower resistor being bad. Its just a small unit that has a wiring connector attached to it that is screwed into the side of the heater box. The side of the unit inside the heater box has 2 or 3 short wire coils that cut down on the voltage in steps.

You'll find it under the dash in the heater box, and usually awkward to get to. I can't tell you exactly where you'll find it on a 2012, as I've had my own 2012 for less than a month.

You might find the plug that fires the fan easier to get to, under the glove box. Using a separate 12 volt system (wires from a good battery) unplug the wiring from the fan, and touch the two leads to the fan electrical contacts. If the fan runs full speed, then your problem is the blower resistor, the switch, or the wiring in between.

If the fan runs only half speed, then the fan motor is on its way out. Generally its only 3 screws to pull the fan and an easy DIY. (I did a fan pull on my last OBW, an 07, and it took all of 20 minutes to pull, clean it up, and replace. Be sure to hook the drain tube back up when you're done.

Sorry if this is rather disjointed, as I thought of things I missed mentioning as I went along. Get back to us if you need more info. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, that's weird... the problem went away yesterday. Now the fan is blowing just fine again. Sound like a loose connection maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts