Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am driving back to school tomorrow. I loaded the Outback and drove to my mom's house for the night. It is heavily loaded, and the rear is sagging on the original springs. (Shocks are 3 year old KYB.)
I never felt the car bottom out on the way here, though I guess it could have been bottoming out gently without me feeling it? I didn't hit any potholes. When I went to check that it wasn't riding on the cone shaped bump stop helper just now, the driver's side one fell off. It had not been in contact with the upper control arm, but it was only about an inch away.

This picture shows the top of the rubber cone, where it attached to the car. Should I reattach it with Shoe Goo? Should I drive carefully and fix it when I get there? I don't want to damage my suspension.

Attachments

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Hello all,
I am driving back to school tomorrow. I loaded the Outback and drove to my mom's house for the night. It is heavily loaded, and the rear is sagging on the original springs. (Shocks are 3 year old KYB.)
I never felt the car bottom out on the way here, though I guess it could have been bottoming out gently without me feeling it? I didn't hit any potholes. When I went to check that it wasn't riding on the cone shaped bump stop helper just now, the driver's side one fell off. It had not been in contact with the upper control arm, but it was only about an inch away.

This picture shows the top of the rubber cone, where it attached to the car. Should I reattach it with Shoe Goo? Should I drive carefully and fix it when I get there? I don't want to damage my suspension.
Just get a new one. Bump stop, I mean.

Shoe Goo? really? The rubber is vulcanized to the metal...Shoe Goo? Your car weighs near 4000 lbs. The average athletic human 180 lbs...

But in the mean time you are fine. I pulled the bump stops off Cherry cause she's lowered.

Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, so that's how it was attached. I wondered.

I will also remove and redistribute weight, to try to avoid hitting the bump stops while the helper cone isn't there.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
Oh, so that's how it was attached. I wondered.

I will also remove and redistribute weight, to try to avoid hitting the bump stops while the helper cone isn't there.
I have one like yours laying around here too, just got popped off with a fist during a strut change job last year,

aftermarket ones $12-$25 a pair,....I have yet to buy ones,...trying to find the right size, or just go OEM??

as you can see in this image the attachment bolt gets old an brittle (or rusty), then snaps when any force is applied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts