Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premium
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I complained to MySubaru.com and just got the SR number needed for the rebate.
But. If I connect my Yakima cross rails to the basket it looks like that adds around 5 ~ 6 inches to the height.
I used a set of Yakima "J" racks on my Legacy wagon but the OB is a lot taller and if I add height....
I'm not sure if I should buy the basket or not. I do like the added spacing between the rails and I do already have all the other parts.
Nothing is straight forward is it.

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,411 Posts
What?

·
Registered
2011 3.6 Limited in Graphite Grey
183 Posts
I got the offer too and for $99 with all rebates, I am thinking of just grabbing it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premium
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I find info on this?
I first heard about the offer here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/24299-carrying-canoe-2010-ob-7.html

After complaining on the MySubaru website about trying to load my touring kayaks on my new 2010 OB.

From SoA:
Mr. XXXXX,
I hope you had a good weekend.
Subaru understands that some owners are experiencing these types of concerns and are happy to offer a solution. I hope it is something that you might be able to consider for your unique situation.
To expand the standard rooftop cargo-carrying functionality of the 2010 and 2011 Outback, the Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket (Part Number E361SSA200) is now available, and can be attached to the standard roof rails and cross bars on the 2010 or 2011 Model Year Outback.

The Subaru Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket’s integrated crossbars increase the available fore-aft crossbar spread (distance between crossbars) from the standard fixed 30” to a fixed 40” spread. When you mount the Subaru Genuine Accessories 53” round crossbars (Part Number E361SXA400) to this basket, these round crossbars offer a spread increase from the standard fixed 30” to an adjustable 36”.
In addition, the length of these 53” crossbars allows you to carry more cargo items (properly attached and within the weight limit) than the 36” length of the standard crossbars. The Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket will also provide you with additional storage space and utility.

We have even more great news for you! Subaru is offering a special rebate on the purchase of our Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket. We have discounted the MSRP of $369.95 to $249.95, a savings of $120.00. In addition, if you provide Subaru with your documentation for your purchase of this Genuine Subaru Accessory, Subaru of America, Inc., will provide you with a $150.00 rebate.

This will reduce your final cost to $99.95 exclusive of taxes. This offer is valid until December 31, 2010 to you as our way of saying thanks for your input.

Should you decide to visit your local Subaru dealer to take advantage of this offer, we would just require a copy of your paid receipt as proof of purchase of our Subaru Heavy-Duty Roof Cargo Basket. You can mail, fax (856.488.3299), or email [email protected] your documentation to receive your rebate. When sending in documentation, please include your SR Number, located at the top of this letter, to help expedite the handling of you rebate. Once we receive your documentation, your rebate check will be processed and mailed to you within 10-14 business days.

Please let me know what you think!

Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know if the Heavy Duty Cargo Basket can be purchased online for less than MSRP, but then still use the $150 rebate from SOA? If I buy it online for $200 -- do I still get $150 back from SOA?

Does anyone have this basket? How does it attached to factory crossbars? Can those attachments be used for attaching other things?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
$150 back from SOA is only through SOA given they have a fixed price for it through them. IE they are probably giving it to you at cost or with a much - much smaller mark up. So in effect SOA is not loosing money by making you happy. If you buy from someone else and use SOA's discount card SOA is loosing money given they are paying you to buy someone elses marked up basket. So no I can't think of any company that would ever give you $150 discount on another companies product.

·
Registered
'11 Sky Blue 3.6 Limited w Moonroof/ Backup Camera
92 Posts
I think he is talking about it being $186 at www.subaruonlineparts.com. He wants to know if he can get the basket for $36. ($186-150 rebate.) I highly doubt it since the letter clearly states that the $150 will be taken off the $249 list price but it never hurts to try since it's for the same product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you SouthJerseyOB. You understood my question exactly.

SOA simply wants a receipt showing the item purchased. You can purchase at any dealership. The letter says, " if you provide Subaru with your documentation for your purchase of this Genuine Subaru Accessory, Subaru of America, Inc., will provide you with a $150.00 rebate."

·
Registered
2010 Outback, 2.5i Premium, 6 speed, PZEV, RalliTEK rear bar, trailer hitch. Also 2001 WRX.
283 Posts
I had the same question myself about the rebate. Though I'm thinking shipping could wipe out any savings over the dealer.

My next question: is this a Yakima rack, and will Yakima crossbars work on it? I'm thinking it could be a useful canoe carrier, and the Subaru crossbars are astonishingly expensive.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i Prem 6spd MT w/AWP/PW Moon/HK
233 Posts
My next question: is this a Yakima rack, and will Yakima crossbars work on it? I'm thinking it could be a useful canoe carrier, and the Subaru crossbars are astonishingly expensive.
Subaru branded roof rack accessories are produced by Yakima FWIW...:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you SouthJerseyOB. You understood my question exactly.

SOA simply wants a receipt showing the item purchased. You can purchase at any dealership. The letter says, " if you provide Subaru with your documentation for your purchase of this Genuine Subaru Accessory, Subaru of America, Inc., will provide you with a $150.00 rebate."
It's not just the receipt but also a special rebate number that is exclusive to the individualized letter that they sent. If you didn't get the letter, you won't get the $150. I know somebody who works for SOA HQ here in NJ (got the VIP deal when buying the car) and I couldn't even get the rebate. :p

It would hurt like heck if you bought the rack and didn't get the rebate ;)
Very true, but the Subaru basket is the Yakima Loadwarrior basket and the cheapest I could find it is $224, and that doesn't include the net like Subaru's does.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i CVT Premium
287 Posts
It's not just the receipt but also a special rebate number that is exclusive to the individualized letter that they sent. If you didn't get the letter, you won't get the $150. I know somebody who works for SOA HQ here in NJ (got the VIP deal when buying the car) and I couldn't even get the rebate. :p
Did you try emailing Subaru? I used the "Contact Us" on the bottom of the page, asked for an SR number, and had it two days later. This is a great rebate program too, since the checks arrive in 7-10 days, as opposed to 8-12 weeks like other rebates.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Too bad the information for the rebate is given in the Drive magazine I rec'd yesterday.

You don't have to receive "the letter", you just need to contact SOA.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Too bad the information for the rebate is given in the Drive magazine I rec'd yesterday.

You don't have to receive "the letter", you just need to contact SOA.

Really, I don't see it. I have the fall 2010 Drive Magazine in front of me and the article is on page 24. I don't see anything about the rebate. It only says they are selling it a "reduced price" which is the MSRP going from $300+ to $249.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Really, I don't see it. I have the fall 2010 Drive Magazine in front of me and the article is on page 24. I don't see anything about the rebate. It only says they are selling it a "reduced price" which is the MSRP going from $300+ to $249.
Touche. Just read it again....

Just figured it was the same offer as what was posted on here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Touche. Just read it again....

Just figured it was the same offer as what was posted on here.
No problem... I love how responsive and helpful everyone is on this board!

Did you try emailing Subaru? I used the "Contact Us" on the bottom of the page, asked for an SR number, and had it two days later. This is a great rebate program too, since the checks arrive in 7-10 days, as opposed to 8-12 weeks like other rebates.

Thank you for that info. I just sent it to SOA and I'll let you know if it works for me. I hope I get it so I can rub it into my friends face.... that's what friends are for. :p

1 - 20 of 860 Posts