Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had their 2015 outback taken in for the front exhaust pipe recall? (WUJ-95 front exhaust pipe replacement for 2015 - 2016)

We had ours done and I now smell the exhaust smell very heavy in the garage when I start and when I arrive back into my garage.

Did anyone experience similar problems?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,526 Posts
following. I assume only the 2015-16 MY?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
432 Posts
I just traded my 2015 3.6 and never saw a recall for this.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,261 Posts
We had ours done and I now smell the exhaust smell very heavy in the garage when I start and when I arrive back into my garage.
Take it back to the dealer for a suspected exhaust leak after the repair.

Reactions: johnre

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,599 Posts
I just traded my 2015 3.6 and never saw a recall for this.
I believe it affects 2.5 (FB25) PZEV only.

Edit: It now affects non-PZEV 2.5s as well (all MY 2015s and a few early MY 2016s).

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5
234 Posts
No problems mine was done about a month ago. May just be burning off residue from manufacturing - take it back to dealer they can check it.

2015 Outback

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,839 Posts
Take it back to the dealer for a suspected exhaust leak after the repair.
This ^^^^. And it should not be delayed.

And make sure that the CO detector inside your house is working well; it will probably have a test function built in.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
509 Posts
My '16 was done a couple weeks ago. No change before and after. I do garage park.
The invoice had two p/n's listed: SOA635156 & SOA635314. The later is CATALYTIC CONVERTER ADHESIVE. Not sure why an adhesive would be needed. Perhaps to fill in microscopic openings in the joints when reassembled.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
715 Posts
My '16 was done a couple weeks ago. No change before and after. I do garage park.
The invoice had two p/n's listed: SOA635156 & SOA635314. The later is CATALYTIC CONVERTER ADHESIVE. Not sure why an adhesive would be needed. Perhaps to fill in microscopic openings in the joints when reassembled.
Maybe it's an anti-sieze lube.

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
I have a 2016 PZEV 2.5 Outback but have not received the recall notice.
You can check for any outstanding recalls affecting your Outback by entering its VIN at MySubaru.com (under Service -> Recalls).

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
I believe it affects 2.5 (FB25) PZEV only.
Update: While I have not received a recall letter for either our 2015 Legacy or 2016 Outback (both non-PZEV 2.5s), MySubaru.com indicates that WUJ-95 does indeed apply to our Legacy. Note that this notice specifically addresses non-PZEV vehicles.

Also see attachments. It appears that this recall only affects 2.5 Legacys and Outbacks, both PZEV and non-PZEV, manufactured prior to October 1, 2015 ... essentially all MY 2015s and early production MY 2016s. The recall will be implemented in phases, so some Federal-spec vehicles may not be scheduled until September, 2020. The bellows on my 2015 Legacy isn't cracked or leaking (yet), so I'm not worried about schedule at this point.

Attachments

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
30 Posts
I had this recall performed about four weeks ago. For the first couple weeks there was a noticeable burning smell upon getting out of the car after a drive, but it gradually went away. I just assumed it was residue from the new part burning off.

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
The invoice ... listed ... CATALYTIC CONVERTER ADHESIVE. Not sure why an adhesive would be needed.
It's used to secure the fiberglass insulators to the heat shields. See the TSB I posted earlier in this thread for details.

Reactions: AbsoluteZero

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had this recall performed about four weeks ago. For the first couple weeks there was a noticeable burning smell upon getting out of the car after a drive, but it gradually went away. I just assumed it was residue from the new part burning off.
Yes. After driving some more and putting some miles, now it is better for me too now Thanks for your data point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts