Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I did a search but couldn’t find the comprehensive answer for this, but let me know if there already is one.
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5 and do a lot of camping trips. These range anywhere from a few days to a week to a month. I have a rooftop tent and kitchen setup in the back, and fully loaded with 2 people it’s an additional 350-400 kgs (800-900 pounds).
I am current looking at a few options;
1 - king springs only in the rear - ks rs-56 (I agree this will be fairly firm when not loaded)
2 - Bilstein B6 shocks and Oem springs (will this reduce sag much?)
3 - King springs with either KYB or bilstein shocks in the rear (expensive, but is it worth doing?
Thanks in advance!
James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Id recommend king springs front and rear. You get a bit of extra ground clearance and i personally prefer the stiffer ride, less body roll and overall improved handling both unloaded and loaded

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
311 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of weight. I would recommend a trailer. A Trailer is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,205 Posts
Shocks don't help with static load, but combining stronger springs and shocks would be the ideal solution.

Reactions: F6power

·
Registered
'17 3.6, MR502/Wildpeak at3w, blah blah blah.
149 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of weight. I would recommend a trailer. A Trailer is cheaper.
Doesn't seem that far away from common setups though?
I ran a rough weight estimate:

Thingweight (lbs)
Person 1
175​
Person 2
120​
hitch
40​
Bike Rack
45​
Bike 1
28​
Bike 2
28​
Cooler w/food and ice (50l yeti)
100​
bike gear
20​
clothes/luggage
50​
camping gear (rtt, hatchet, etc)
150​
camp kitchen (stove/table/etc)
50​
recovery gear
45​
misc (water, bike locks, etc)
25​
total
876​

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,921 Posts
1 - king springs only in the rear - ks rs-56 (I agree this will be fairly firm when not loaded)
2 - Bilstein B6 shocks and Oem springs (will this reduce sag much?)
3 - King springs with either KYB or bilstein shocks in the rear (expensive, but is it worth doing?
If you don't like the sag when loaded, then do #1.
If the sag doesn't bother you but the bouncy ride when loaded bothers you, then do #2
If sag and underdamped bother you do #3. If upgrading, don't bother with KYB as they will be about the same as factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts