Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
05 Outback Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a quick search of posts I didn't find anyone talking about upgrading to the louder Hella horn setup. I mostly see them on the WRX's but I was wondering if anyone has done this to our gen Outbacks. I'm a relatively new owner and I'm looking for some simple projects to "get to know" the car. If anyone has some pictures of how they look or some testimonials it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
67 Posts
I did it to my '06. You'll have to remove the front bumper because the stock horns are behind the right fog light. I didn't take any pictures. I may redo my installation this week to put the horns in a "visible" location. If I do then I will take some pictures.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
I have Hella Supertone horns on my 04 OB. Definitely worth the money, they are LOUD!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
What's a good moderately loud horn upgrade, somewhere between the stock on a 2013 and a Hella, in terms of loudness?

·
Registered
05 Outback Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I plan on doing this simple upgrade in the near future. Do the supertones fire when you hit the lock button on the remote three times? I will definitely post some pictures when I give it a go.

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
67 Posts
Thanks guys. I plan on doing this simple upgrade in the near future. Do the supertones fire when you hit the lock button on the remote three times? I will definitely post some pictures when I give it a go.
Yes. At least they do on my '06 OB.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I installed them on my 2013. They're AWESOME! Thinking about installing two more soon.

Here they are:

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,542 Posts
I installed them on my 2013. They're AWESOME! Thinking about installing two more soon.

Here they are:
If you do install a second pair, are you going to run them on a seperate circuit, with a relay? I have read that with horns, if you install more than the two that the circuit is designed for, you will not get any more volume.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
As far as I know, any additional horn(s) might require additional relay(s)...if the stock (OEM) is designed just for 2. If you add any more than what the OEM is designed for, you may need additional relay(s)....
The relay allows you to control a large current with a smaller switch and horn wire. Without it, you may need a heavy duty horn switch with a heavy gauge (AWG) wire.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
If wired in parallel the horns should work at their full potential provided the OEM wiring is rated to handle the additional current and you don’t exceed the 7amp fuse each horn has.

The OEM horns are 12V 4amps each, if I remember the Hella's are 5.5amps, so if the lengt and gauge of the OEM wiring can handle 10 Amps (assuming each circuit will have two horns) then you can upgrade the OEM fuse based on the wire limitations. It is just simpler to add a fused circuit and relay.

My OB's OEM horns are awaiting installation in my sons Power Wheels Jeep, they seem suitable for that application.

If you do install a second pair, are you going to run them on a separate circuit, with a relay? I have read that with horns, if you install more than the two that the circuit is designed for, you will not get any more volume.

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
67 Posts
My OB has (had) two OEM Horns. If I was to install a second set of Hella Horns. I would hook up a second relay and tap power from the battery directly like my current setup.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
500 Posts
bringing this thread back from the dead. so anyone have any gen 3 specific installs?
im not sure what else i need for the install of 2 horns. do i need relays or does the package come with it

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
bringing this thread back from the dead. so anyone have any gen 3 specific installs?
im not sure what else i need for the install of 2 horns. do i need relays or does the package come with it
I bought everything I needed from subimods.com

Wiring harness, bracket and the horns. Plug n play from there on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2005 Outback XTi Lim. 5 Speed MT "Red Rocket"
30 Posts
Kaitanium here's the easy way for gen 3...For anyone that says this takes two hours must have a really hard time with tools. Took me about 30 min for install.

1: pull off air box/channel and silencer and illuminate the area were you pulled out the box.
2: look in the hole for the silencer by the bottom of the car and follow the wires to the stock horns.
3: unplug both horns (don't mistake for fog lights connector...if you have fogs) and put electrical tape over one of the female cables to keep it clean.
4 plug in the subimods male end and run it to the horns...then battery..done.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
500 Posts
thanks pkeating! so you dont need to remove bumper and grille to get them installed in front of the radiator?

ill be taking off my bumper anyways for a headlight install.

do you know if the horns have 1 cable going into them? positive or negative trigger?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts