Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First post here and it may be a doozy!

Just bought a 2001 h6 Outback two days ago. The check engine light was on when I looked at the car. The owners said the light came on just the day before. They had EVERY invoice for work done on the car. I took it to AutoZ and showed bank 1 O2 sensor bad. I drove the car home (two hours) and ordered a new O2 sensor yesterday. The car also made a funny noise which upon searching the forums, I think it is a couple of o-rings on the power steering pump. I also thought I smelled burnt rubber yesterday after running the car awhile. The smell disipated really quick.

Tonight the car lost power and died on my wife going up hill. She says she thinks it gradually lost power, but she isn't totally sure. It now won't start. It turns over well, but it won't fire. Could the O2 sensor cause this? It is raining out now so I'll plug my AutoEnginuity in tomorrow morning to see if anything else threw a code.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I plugged in AutoEnginuity this morning, and here is the code:

P0051 - Bank 2 Sensor 1 Sensor

Upon searching the forum I found this to be the driver's side O2 sensor. I'll replace this morning and report back if it helped or not.

It has been a long time since I was a full time mechanic, but I haven't heard of an O2 sensor shutting down a car - I've heard crazier though.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
I'm kinda concerned about the smells but, one thing to confirm is fuel flow. There's a cap and o-ring on the fuel pump assembly in the tank that could be the problem. You can search on that issue. There's a LOT of speculation as to what causes it - no one seems to know for certain. Given that the PO had good maintenance done, seems unlikely to be an old/clogged fuel filter.

Check for grease or oil/fluid on the exhaust. There are 2-3 sources for smells - some are more an annoyance but, could be a split inner CV boot. Unrelated to killing the car.

The CEL code - I'd just clear it and monitor how quickly it comes back. Could be a fluke, a 'lazy' O2 sensor, a really bad O2 sensor, even a dicey battery/alternator will set 'spurious' codes.

Hope you ordered an OEM front O2 sensor. If you really do need one, generic aftermarkets have a poor reputation in the front O2 position.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put on new Denso O2 sensor this morning. As figured, no start.

It indeed has a torn CV boot slinging grease onto the exhaust.

I read a bunch last night and was wondering if it could be the o-ring problem or a bad fuel pump. If I read correctly, those two culprits usually rear their ugly heads when shut off?????

Can the fuel pump be heard with Key On Engine Off?

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
18,644 Posts
when working properly, the fuel pump can be heard for a very short time when key on as it pressurizes the system. If you don't hear it, or you hear it for a long time/constatly - that's gonna be bad. But you may need to pull the line loose at the filter (careful!) to check for actual fuel flow anyway.

If yo confirm fuel flow, might look for crank angle sensor problem next but... not sure after that.

maybe others will chime in here.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tilted the back seat and heard the fuel pump run for a second or two and then quit like it is supposed to.

I'll check for flow at the filter and research the crank sensor.

I know on my F250 the camshaft position sensor is a cause for this sort of problem.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel flowing through filter. It sure wasn't rushing out though - more like a steady little stream - not a trickle though either.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Your right an O2 will not shut down the car, though I wonder if the 02 sensor will error if the fuel supply is all wrong? Does seem like fuel would be top of the culprit list.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
If the o-ring is bad the pump will likely flow fuel with no pressure but may build no pressure.

You can probably borrow a fuel-pressure gauge fro autozone, pep-boys, advance-auto, etc.

They are not too much and handy to have around, though, if you can't borrow one.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would the pressure guage hook in right after the fuel pump? Do they use a hose barb or fittings?

Thanks

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
Even easier. Somewhere on the fuel rail there will be what looks like a bicycle valve, the gauge connects to that.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body, and it fired and died right away. I'm going to replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, I'll be pulling the pump assembly.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey good call! - yes does seem to be the fuel based on that response. If you haven't read the odd oring gasket post on the fuel pump do some searching in the forums. One of the guys did a decent write up about his findings and how he went about getting it sorted out.

Really glad its something simple and not some type of timing failure those never end on a good note. Good luck with the fuel filter swap knock on wood thats the fix

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fuel filter swap didn't help. It did sputter once though.

I took out the pump and found the metal lid off one of the plastic ears as well as a swollen o-ring.

I'll search the forum for an o-ring number and report back. Would a viton o-ring resist the swelling more?

I did see the write on how to fix it with a hose clamp. I also saw on another forum that the 4 cylinder models use the same metal cap. I can't find Outbacks in the salvage yards though.

I found in another thread it is a metric -928 o-ring. He used viton. Now to find one in a local hydraulic shop. Amazon has them for 99 cents.

·
Premium Member
18,644 Posts
too many of these happening.

wish Subaru would sell a cap/o-ring kit.

ANYONE FROM FHI LURKING HERE?

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
too many of these happening.

wish Subaru would sell a cap/o-ring kit.

ANYONE FROM FHI LURKING HERE?

Agreed. It is not like it is part that is supposed to wear out either. Is it the owners fault they put gasoline in their vehicle? Can the owner help it if the supplier used an inferior o-ring?

·
Premium Member
18,644 Posts
Agreed. It is not like it is part that is supposed to wear out either. Is it the owners fault they put gasoline in their vehicle? Can the owner help it if the supplier used an inferior o-ring?
several folks have found the cap's tab cracked - inspect carefully.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The big tab is cracked.

Me and some friends will be scouring the local (within 3 hour radius) pull-a-part yards over the next couple of days.

I did find used assemblies within 2 hours for $75.

I'll be checking hydraulic shop tomorrow for a viton o-ring.

I'm wondering if higher than 87 octane fuel is doing this? The h4's don't seem to having the problem.

The previous owner used 87 octane. I put in 89 thinking in might clear up the 02 sensor - it didn't but thought it was worth a shot. Maybe just coincedence that the higher octane gas was put in and the part failed.

·
Premium Member
18,644 Posts
check ebay - you might find something for ~$50 , but you may not have the luxury of time.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought a used h4 pump assembly just for the cap. I guess $75 is better than $200 - $300 for a new one.

The cap from the h4 does indeed fit. I used the old o-ring for the salvaged pump and will replace when the viton o-rings show up from Amazon.

The car started right up after a couple of cranks.

The first generation pumps are NOT the same. I pulled one from a '97 OBW and it didn't have the cap.

If anyone finds a 2000-2004 Outback in a pull-a-part yard. I'd be happy to buy a cap from you for a spare. No need to buy the whole pump, just pull the cap with a large channel lock type pliers by turning it to get it off the plastic ears without bending the metal tabs.

Be very CAREFUL when pulling off fuel lines in the pull-a-part yards

- I got a face full of gasoline from the '97. Good thing I had sunglasses on!

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to carry a spare cap and o-ring!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts