Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I just wanted to thank all of you for the great information you have shared in this forum. We have been trying to decide between a CR-V and Outback (yes I know the Forester is a better direct comparison) for the last year. I feel like I've read every thread and have learned a ton (from favorite tires to wind noise to floor mats)! We've finally decided to move forward with an Outback. I hope to place my order in the next week or so (2018 Ice Silver/Black 3.6R limited).

In case anyone is trying to decide between the two a few of the reasons we are going with the Outback:
- Great visibility
- Nice interior (pleasantly surprised)
- Very nice layout of gauge and controls
- Very responsive IVI unit (in the 2018). Carplay worked very well, include voice recognition.

Also, I did not see a ton of pictures of the new Titanium Gray interior so I've posted a few below in case it helps someone. Note that in the pictures on Subarus website, many of the plastic pieces are also the Titanium Gray. However, in the car that I saw, many of the plastic pieces were black. Perhaps their supplier was not on time and they will cut those in over the year. Also, the Titanium Gray has a hint of blue (very cool hue), at least to these old eyes.

Thanks again and hope to join officially when we get the car.
--JKM

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
156 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I have been trying to see a grey interior for a while. I know I want the Twilight Blue exterior, but am still undecided on the interior.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are very welcome! The car I saw was a Twilight Blue Metallic with Titanium Gray interior. My wife really liked the combination. I was less enthused. I felt like the color clashed with the gray in the headliner because that fabric was more a clay color. Coming from light gray interiors in Hondas, I thought it would be my preference but was surprised. Obviously personal choice (And I'm being very picky here) but would recommend you see it in person because it is a little different shade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same boat

Hi folks,
We have been trying to decide between a CR-V and Outback (yes I know the Forester is a better direct comparison) for the last year.
JKM,

We are in the same boat, trying to decide between CR-V and Outback. Both are excellent cars and that's why its hard to choose between the two. We are leaning towards Outback too. The primary reason is we noticed that both the CR-Vs we test drove were pretty loud in terms of road noise compared to the Outbacks. Did you also experience the same thing? The internet is pretty mixed about CR-V road noise.
I also agree on the visibility aspect. But I somewhat liked the more sci-fi look of the CR-V gauges.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I did not notice more road noise in the CR-V. However, the engine noise was much more noticible. In all fairness I am comparing the 1.5 Turbo with the 3.6.

The things I liked more about the CRV were: fantastic chassis and handling, outstanding brake feel, spacious backseat and rear door opening (to load/unload the little one). I found forward visibility decreased from the 2016 CRV with the hood styling. In addition, rear and rear quarter visibility was lousy. It was challenging for me at 5'10" and a deal breaker for my wife at 5'5". I also felt the Navi was small, slow, and glitchy (in particular the CarPlay).

They are both nice cars, I'm just dialing up the contrast here to share how we decided. We debated for almost a year so it certainly was close.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Happy to share while fresh in our memories.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing on road noise, I seem to recall some thread at a CRV forum where owners mentioned there were two brands of tires and apparently one seemed to be much quieter. I know it's a stretch, but if you really like the CRV and this is the main roadblock, it might be worth checking with the dealer and test driving one of each, if available. Just an idea..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those are some excellent observations. We don't have kids right now so never thought about ease of loading rear seats, but it's something to keep in mind for future, thanks for the tip! I will look into the tire brand thing too didn't know about that.
One other thing that bothers me about CR-V is the reliability of the new turbo engine. Granted that the same or similar engine was used in Civic sport and that Honda is reliable brand, still turbos are known to have issues. There is also the fact that this is the first model year of the refresh. On the other hand this is the 4th year of the current generation Outback and a number of issues have been fixed in the past years. Also the Outback engines have been out in the wild for a long time and have a proven track record.
Anyways thanks for your observations, we hope to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. You really were bowled over by the new OB as all your pictures were taken lying on the ground.:grin2:

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronttng, those were two concerns for us as well. We like to keep our cars around as long as possible so we were concerned with the relative "newness" of the CRV and the engine. I believe Honda sells well over 200K/yr of those and it's their highest volume product so I'm sure they would prioritize quality and fixes. So we figured if we went the CRV route, we would wait for the 2018 sometime this fall to hopefully benefit from some of those fixes.

Our plan is to go with the 2018 Outback now and when we need to replace our other car in 3 to 4 years, take a look at the an updated Acura RDX (since it shares the same platform as the CRV but may have different visibility due to styling) or a new Forester (which we did not care for this Gen). All of those options would be launched and produced for a little bit so our quality concerns may be reduced.

Did you look at any other cars? We looked at the new small Mazda SUV but found it cramped and underpowered. Design wise and interior quality wise, it was very nice though.

Best of luck on your search!

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OBnube, I guess I'm not quite ready to transition to a career as a automotive photo journalist. My perspective is skewed from years of trying to take pictures of tiny two legged and four legged family members. :)

Hoping to place an order later this week. Fingers crossed on getting some reasonable pricing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you look at any other cars?
I was considering RAV4 Hybrid too. It has good milage and actually more power than its gas version. But it dint really excite me, has no android auto and wife is already tired of test drives :grin2:.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL. I'm not even sure if my wife even likes the Outback. She might just be saying so to be done with me dragging her to dealerships!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts