Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone! Im new here. I bought my first Subaru last Monday. I bought a 2001 Outback Limited with a 2.5 automatic. Its loaded. 2 sunroofs, heated leather seats, heated mirrors etc. I think I got a pretty good deal at 7k. It has 77,230 miles on it! Timing belt and water pump was just done at the dealer! I bought it in Colorado and drove it home to northern Wyoming and averaged a little over 26mpg. Is that pretty normal for them. Half the trip was interstate 75mph and other half was highway 65mph. The car has a few minor problems like the lift gate has a few trim clips are busted. I think there might me a worn out sway bar link or two cause if you jerk the steering will a little that car sways side to side pretty good. But nothing I cant fix.
Ive been looking for an Outback for about 6 months. I go to the mountains alot and wanted something awd with room for my camera gear and backpacking gear. My 99 2 door honda accord wasnt cutting it. And I can sleep in the back of the outback too!!! Ive been reading alot of posts gathering information for the past week. You guys seem very helpful and look forward to getting help or helping out as much as I can.
Thanks for your time,
Jr

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
Hello to you and welcome. Lots of fun stuff here.

Fuel mileage is excellent with the mountain/hill driving you did.

A twin size air mattress will inflate in the back with the back seat folded down. I know. Sometimes its easier to pitch in the Outback than pitch on a windy beach.

Sounds like you need a set of struts. KYB are great shocks. Get an alignment after the install.

Honda Accord Coupe in the mountains? I guess it was all paved. At least in the Outback you can get off the main road with ease. Watch for squirrels.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats one of the main reason I got the outback was to get me back in the hills more. My honda was to low to the ground and its a pain in the rear to get my 2 year old son in and out of his car seat. Ill check the struts out. Its gonna be alot nicer then driving my truck a few hundred miles for a photography trip at 12mpg. lol. Im gonna check out the mattress idea and maybe like a 12 volt heating blanket and maybe try and get a battery jump pack so I dont have to plug it into the car at night. Also gonna look at replacing the stock speakers. A few of them are blown and kinda annoying. I know the front and rear doors are 6 1/2 and then there is tweeter in the rear and on the front door. So Ill probably swap everything out for some nice pioneers and install a pioneer Navigation stereo as well.

Jr

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
I don't know about Pioneer, but I do know Polk Audio fit perfect in my doors and sound great.

Crutchfield. I got everything for my VDC sound system for $660 with shipping.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Cardoc is an outstanding technician to learn from.

Wish you both well!

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
154 Posts
I see you are also a photographer, Is that a hobby or a living? I demand pictures.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see you are also a photographer, Is that a hobby or a living? I demand pictures.
Ok Ill try and post a few from my recent Arizona trip here. Im in the process of cleaning up my flickr account. Its a hobby that is turning into extra income. I have a few contracts that are gonna be some big shoots for a few local coal mines that want to update some pictures in there offices. Ive also started doing portraits, and that is starting to get me some more work too.

Jr

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these pictures are straight out of the camera with no editing done to them. I hate wasting time editing photos!

This is double arch at Arches National park. This is in Utah on our way home from arizona.

This is the first picture I took on our Arizona trip. This is called Horse Shoe Bend.

This is in a slot canyon called Antelope Upper Canyon.

This is a Hydro Electric dam right before the town of Page Arizona, I forget what the name of the dam is.

This was at the end of our hike to the toadstools.

Had to throw in a picture of the New Kia Sorento. We travels over 1900 miles and averaged 28.8mpg with it!
Hope you enjoy the pictures! Once I get my flickr account updated Ill let you know!
Jr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts