Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, Subaru noob in Military overseas, got questions..

The local Auto strip yard (Military) has monthly auctions on cars that are turned in, etc from folks leaving.

Well, I won a bid on a 1998 Outback with 113K miles, decent shape, automatic, runs, etc. Apparently the lady had a dog cause there is dog hair everywhere. Anyhow.

Only problem I noticed, since you can only drive it in the small parking lot, was an engine tick/knock that seemed to go away after warmed up and vapor coming from the radiator fill cap, intermittenly.

The car has been sitting for a couple of weeks in the cold but started right up. Only other problem was ABS light is on.

Well, not knowing Subarus but working on other cars I am somewhat mechanically adept at fixing things.

The winning bis was for $800. What say you? Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Well, I may not be able to answer your questions but I would like to thank you for your service to our country! God Bless you guys (and gals)

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
The tick is probably piston slap, not a big deal on these.

Almost certainly need a timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys. Was due in 2005, and if you don't have paperwork saying it was done then its due now. The rule is 105k miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. A broken belt at speed will trash the engine in the blink of an eye. It's not bad as a DIY, especially if you have access to tools & service bay on your base somewhere.

That said, you got a deal and a half.

Congrats & welcome!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
Oh and read up on head gasket failures, they are common on that model and the vapor you saw escaping could be exhaust bubbling thru the coolant. Not the end of the world. Given an $800 purchase you could still profit nicely after fixing it, driving it a while and selling it to the public.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Tick/knock could be that wrong viscosity oil has been put in the car.
Change the oil with proper viscosity and see if you still hear the tick/knock. Heavy/thick oil may not properly lubricate the camshaft/valve rockers, when the engine is cold.

Steam/vapor from radiator cap could be and old/leaky radiator pressure cap. Get a new one (with proper specs), and see, if it still leaks.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Asuming you are in Germany, you have a Subaru dealer just a few kilometers South from you at Bendorf. And there are quite a few North from you in Bonn. Have them check it....I know you may not have a license plate on the car but these dealers are quite close...if I am not mistaken, "those who are leaving" have to return their plates before they leave the country.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and help. There is a local Subaru dealer in the area and apparently this lady had a 90k mile "tune up" done to her car, according to the receipt in the glove compartment, to the tune of 1003 Euros!!!!

12 euros for fat?
56 euros for loudspeaker?
10 euros for small material?

And other assorted non-sense. This is how it is listed as charges on the receipt.

oh yeah, forgot the arbeitzeit or working time charges: 64 at 5.75 euros each= 368 euros!!

a sparkplug costs 16 euros each!
also they used 15.75 euros worth of brake fat!!??

Sorry for the rant here but just going over this bill and how they gouged the crap out of this lady is something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to add:

-brake fluid was 13.10 euros
-brake cleaner was 9.10 euros

but she did not have a brake change or repair done!!

Thats all. I will go visit this dealer with the same car and tell them to please quote me on a tune-up, then laugh at their faces in German!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Well yeah! I would go back and check, what they have done and have them fix it at no charge! If they don't you can always file a claim with TuV.... Also, that arbeitzeit is per hour? If so, they have been working on it for 64 hours @ 8 hours a day that is 8 days??? Something fishy here... scheissdreck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question related to the car:

-I had a chance to inspect it some more today and white smoke is coming from the exhaust when running? Head gasket issue?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
A good bet.

If it hasn't been badly overheated then it isn't too rough of a job. Pop the engine out, heads off, grind 'em flat, and put it together with the new type gaskets. OK so there's a bit more to it than that, but you can search this board for the many dozens of threads covering the topic.

Bonus: super easy access to do the timing belt job on the way back together.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Pop the engine out... hmmm... over there it might be a problem, if it's on the base....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts