Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Limited Eyesight Tungsten
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was a regular on subaruforester.org. After 101,000 miles and 6 years in my '11 Foz I traded it in for a new '17 vw passat. What a mistake! After 10 months in the vw, I am overjoyed to be back in a Subaru! Loving my new 2.5i Touring, 4 miles on the odometer when I picked it out. I think I'll call my new Subie "Miles"!
Peace!

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Limited Eyesight Tungsten
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Curious, what were the issues you had with the VW?
It was an SE with tech package. The front assist never worked correctly. A new (front) wheel sensor was needed every 3000-3500 miles. I would get a warning: "front assist not available", which would disable cruise control. There was no way to circumvent the adaptive cruise, so NO cruise control available when this would happen. There was never an explanation as to why this issue kept occuring other than "...the system is very sensitive" and "...the sensors are new to VW". When the sensor was replaced the car had to be re-aligned. It was a 3-4 hour visit to the dealership. Otherwise the car ran and drove well.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,143 Posts
It was an SE with tech package. The front assist never worked correctly. A new (front) wheel sensor was needed every 3000-3500 miles. I would get a warning: "front assist not available", which would disable cruise control. There was no way to circumvent the adaptive cruise, so NO cruise control available when this would happen. There was never an explanation as to why this issue kept occuring other than "...the system is very sensitive" and "...the sensors are new to VW". When the sensor was replaced the car had to be re-aligned. It was a 3-4 hour visit to the dealership. Otherwise the car ran and drove well.
Sounds like a marketing-driven tech solution looking for a problem to solve, and when they really couldn't identify any to address they made some up. Except in doing so, they kind of overdid the dependencies on the sensors and made it a domino failure effect!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts