Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-New member here! Just starting out: i'm looking to buy a new 2.5 limited. I've followed along here for a month or so. I'm getting pricing in the Chicago area.

I've been driving a Cadillac CTS but it just isn't the car for me. I have a large dog that is my travel companion. He does Ok with having the whole the backseat, but doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else. :)

For years I've been waiting for GM to come out with something like the Outback. Always comparing it to the outback. I come from a GM family. 3rd generation. My Grandma retired from there. As did several members of the family. Most recently my dad.

I'm finally just giving up and going with what I really want/need.

I'm excited and hope it lives up to my expectations.

My only issue now is: 2.5 or 3.6? I know that I really want to drive the 3.6. Especially after the get up and go of my CTS. But i just can't ignore the mpg of the 2.5. I'm 80% at the 2.5 right now. I figure if I can't stand it then I will trade it in for the 3.6.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
I guess it depends what kind of driver you are and what kind of driving you do. Nobody really buys a full time 4 wheel drive vehicle for exceptional fuel mileage. I went with the 3.6r cause I like having the power there when I need it, like passing on the highway in the mountains and from what I can see in here you don't take much of a mileage hit over the 2.5 unless you are all city driving. if you do a lot of highway driving I find the 3.6r good enough for fuel economy, not much less than the 2.5.

·
Registered
5th Subaru: 2017 3.6R Touring
15 Posts
I was leaning to the 2.5 until I drove it. Like you, I came from cars with power. Personally, I hated the lack of power in the 2.5.
I am getting 21.5mph in my 3.6R and my commute is 50% highway/50% city (30 miles a day).
BUt there are plenty who love the 2.5. So drive them both.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R - Graphite Grey
34 Posts
Another vote for the 3.6R. I'm also about 50/50 city-hwy with about 25 miles round trip commute, and getting about 21 mpg. I like the smoothness and little extra 'oomph' of the H6, compared to the higher revs with the 2.5.

Chicagoland? You will definitely appreciate the Subaru AWD next winter!

·
Registered
2015 3.6r ltd nav/moonroof
195 Posts
had a 2010 2.5 cvt..............now have a 2012 3.6............no comparison................the 3.6 makes me smile alot when i need to hit the go pedal..............:):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts