Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post so I thought I should introduce myself before I ask my question. I'm from Southern WV and have owned a Subaru for just over 2 years. Unfortunately it hasn't been running for much of that time. Probably 9 months after buying it, I "threw a rod" in the engine. At least according to my mechanic that is. So for the last 18 months or so it's been sitting cause I haven't had the time/money to do anything with it. Now I do though. I've decided to purchase a motor for it and will be replacing it but what should I change out on the motor while I have it out? It's a 1999 Legacy Outback.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
If you're keeping the 2.5, cam seals, crank seal, oil separator plate at the back of the motor, headgaskets, timing belt, and everything it touches (idlers and tensioner, water pump), valve cover gaskets and grommets, and a set of plugs wouldn't hurt either.

Or. . . You could buy the motor I have sitting in the wrecked 99 Limited (or buy the whole car if you want) that I just did all that stuff to. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wanting to stay with the 2.5; how much are you trying to get and how many miles?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
191k.

Bought the car in crashed condition, belt cover and underlying cam pulleys were broken so didn't even try to start it. Pulled the motor and heads, found bent valves. Replaced with a set of good heads I had on the shelf, re-shimmed the valves and reassembled the motor with new HG's, intake gaskets, cam seals, crank seal, oil separator plate, timing belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, t-stat, and new spark plugs. Replaced the broken cam gears and belt covers, obviously.

Dropped it back in the car and it's running but I've decided not to spend the money on the bodywork it needs. I'd sell the whole car for $1500. It's a limited so it has heated leather seats. . .the heated mirrors have been sold off the car but I have a spare set in black you can have with it if you want it.

Take what you want off the car, part out what you don't and you'll still get ~$300 for it at the crusher.

If you don't go that route I highly reccomend the 2.2 swap. You won't notice the difference in power and it's pretty much a bolt-in, plug-up deal if you source the correct stuff.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
The 2.2 liter is rated for 142 HP/ 149 ft-lb; the 2.5 for 165/162.
OTOH, the 2.2 has a rather brilliant service record, often topping 200 or 300 thousand miles, if the car doesn't rust through first. The 2.5 is almost guaranteed to have a headgasket failure over its lifetime (the OEM ones are poor), though once replaced I don't recall many other problems.
There might be some sensor conflicts if you try to plug the 2.2 right in w/o research, but several swaps are documented on this site.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
2.2 HP ratings fluctuate by the year but that's about where they peak. Even if they're down 30hp from the 2.5, as I've said you won't miss it.

Pros of the 2.2:
-fewer cams by half. Less stuff to seal, less stuff to leak.
-Adjustable valves that don't require shims
-1996 and back are non-interference motors, so timing belt failure is an inconvenience, not a four-figure repair bill.
-Easier to change the plugs
-Often easier to find a good 2.2 than a good 2.5
-No headgasket problems

Cons:
-Teenage boys will belittle you
-up to 30hp less than the 2.5
-Might puzzle Subaru dealership personnel when you go to order parts and say you've got a 99 2.2 Outback.

So that's the breakdown. But buy my car anyway :)

(don't have any 2.2's right now else I'd try to sell you one of those)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
ding
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing