Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm on the side of the highway, and if I had to guess, I just blew the turbo. Tow truck is en route to take it in for a look see, but between fits of tears, what can I begin looking into. I'd like to replace it with one that is either OEM or better, but by better I mean robust, I don't NEED more gains, just want to put the most solid unit in. I've already been urged to change my oil cooler, filter, oil, and banjo bolt; is there any thing else?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
FLAT BED. subarus need to be flatbedded, if its a plain tow truck and they want to tow it 2 wheels down without dollies, they are going to harm the AWD.

Reactions: GoonersBlueWagon

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Most important part is search the system for debris. Pull the oil pan, definitely worth the trouble.
Can you describe the noises & other symptoms?
If your engine is OK, replace with an OEM VF40. Anything else requires a tune.
Also, very important - have you eliminated the catted up-pipe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was put on dollies, I made sure of it. I have not done any mods to the car as of yet, I only purchased it about 8 weeks ago.

So, once it got to the shop, the guys had a look, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and they started it up. No codes. They said they can't fix what isn't broken, and told me to drive it and come back if anything happens. So I did, and about 2 blocks later, I heard and felt another "cough" and then the CEL and Cruise lights came on. I limped it back at 1000 rpm, and they are going to scope it tomorrow and have a better look. It's now giving a P0340 code; camshaft position sensor. Think maybe the turbo went, and damaged the sensor? Or do all these symptoms make sense for the cam sensor? No previous symptoms or noise from the car before either incident, aside from a longer than usual crank from the starter when test driving.

I'm terrified.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
It was put on dollies, I made sure of it. I have not done any mods to the car as of yet, I only purchased it about 8 weeks ago.

So, once it got to the shop, the guys had a look, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and they started it up. No codes. They said they can't fix what isn't broken, and told me to drive it and come back if anything happens. So I did, and about 2 blocks later, I heard and felt another "cough" and then the CEL and Cruise lights came on. I limped it back at 1000 rpm, and they are going to scope it tomorrow and have a better look. It's now giving a P0340 code; camshaft position sensor. Think maybe the turbo went, and damaged the sensor? Or do all these symptoms make sense for the cam sensor? No previous symptoms or noise from the car before either incident, aside from a longer than usual crank from the starter when test driving.

I'm terrified.
I would be too. Sh*t on that shop, know-nothings...you never should have started it, much less driven it. The cam codes are not good. Do not start it anymore. Tear it down.

Follow the previuse advice... D*mn....

:behead:

Rear dollies? Hopefully.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, all wheels were suspended.

As for the shop, my first choice of shop is booking out til next Friday, and I'll be getting it in with them asap, so I took it to the shop my good pal manages, to diagnose and do some prelimnary looks. I had a bad feeling about taking the car back, but I'm not a mechanic, and no codes was puzzleing. I realize I may have made things worse here, but that's over and done now. Gotta move forward. Any who, until I hear back, could the cam sensor become damaged by turbo shrapnel? Would cyl 4 be the one to take the hit?

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Yes, all wheels were suspended.

As for the shop, my first choice of shop is booking out til next Friday, and I'll be getting it in with them asap, so I took it to the shop my good pal manages, to diagnose and do some prelimnary looks. I had a bad feeling about taking the car back, but I'm not a mechanic, and no codes was puzzleing. I realize I may have made things worse here, but that's over and done now. Gotta move forward. Any who, until I hear back, could the cam sensor become damaged by turbo shrapnel? Would cyl 4 be the one to take the hit?
Cyl #4 is the lean cyl on the factory tune...so that gets the detonation. Cam sensor codes usually means ... imploding eminent...due to sludging. The AVCS sensors get all gummed up. The banjo filters as well and ...starvation, oil starvation. This cause all kinds of problems. Particularly with timing advance and turbo lubrication...both add more heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh boy. Well I will know more tomorrow, and I'll post the details. I appreciate all the input, please keep it coming. I hope I can get this sorted out in fairly short order, I wanna drive again!

·
Registered
320 Posts
So far I haven't heard any actual symptoms other than P0340 and limp mode (and a "cough"?).
Every P0340 I've seen has been just as advertised. Replace the passenger cam sensor, move on with your life. It's quite a common sensor to fail, cause it's plastic and like 3" from the turbo.
There is no correlation between cam sensor failure and any serious problems.
And it is typical for the P0340 to vanish as suddenly as it appears.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
So far I haven't heard any actual symptoms other than P0340 and limp mode (and a "cough"?).
Every P0340 I've seen has been just as advertised. Replace the passenger cam sensor, move on with your life. It's quite a common sensor to fail, cause it's plastic and like 3" from the turbo.
There is no correlation between cam sensor failure and any serious problems.
And it is typical for the P0340 to vanish as suddenly as it appears.
That was my thoughts as I read this thread. Folks offering diagnosis without the OP posting any symptoms other than a P0340.

Almost like the OP is hoping the turbo has failed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cyl #4 is the lean cyl on the factory tune...so that gets the detonation. Cam sensor codes usually means ... imploding eminent...due to sludging. The AVCS sensors get all gummed up. The banjo filters as well and ...starvation, oil starvation. This cause all kinds of problems. Particularly with timing advance and turbo lubrication...both add more heat.
Chris, you seem to be confusing cam sensor codes (P0340, P0345) with cam timing codes (P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022).

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Chris, you seem to be confusing cam sensor codes (P0340, P0345) with cam timing codes (P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022).
Yep, sorry for the red flag. I need to say off the forum when I am tired.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, the rest of us get bitchy when we post late. You could do worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts