Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Outback Premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2012 for the Bride
Love it!
Want one for myself but cant afford a new one

How much different is the front legroom width at the knees between the door panel and console from Gen3 to Gen4
Is the floor board (frt only) more cramped?

I can't find a used Gen 3 to sit in locally:(

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Registered
12 Outback Premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info

Anyone else have both models (or had both)?

·
Registered
2010,2.5 limited black
25 Posts
Traded a 2008 Outback for our 2010 OUtback..much more all around room in the 2010.2008 was more narrow...back seat room in the 2010 is amazeing.All depends on your body type,I am six ft.200lbs.

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
Bought a 2012 for the Bride
Love it!
Want one for myself but cant afford a new one

How much different is the front legroom width at the knees between the door panel and console from Gen3 to Gen4
Is the floor board (frt only) more cramped?

I can't find a used Gen 3 to sit in locally:(
My cousin drove me home last night in his Gen 3 OB. He's got the turbo. Holy crap that thing moved! I had plenty of room in the front passenger seat. I don't remember if the '13 is substantially more comfortable though.

·
Registered
12 Outback Premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Traded a 2008 Outback for our 2010 OUtback..much more all around room in the 2010.2008 was more narrow...back seat room in the 2010 is amazeing.All depends on your body type,I am six ft.200lbs.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid off,
I've owned full size trucks all my life and while I really like my wife's Outback, the width at the knees is tighter than I'm used to and I'm not sure I want to go any smaller :)

·
Registered
'09 Outback, 1990 mercedes 300e
2 Posts
09 outback seating sub-par

I have an '09 Outback and although I find the seating comfortable as a driver, my wife hates the passenger seat - to the point she will not go out-of-town with me in the car. Actually, she won't even go to Blockbuster down the street in this car unless she's the driver. I'm 6 foot and she's 5 9", and she's mostly legs. The problem is two fold. The passenger seat doesn't have any adjustment other than front-to-back. The driver-seat has a nice lever that raises the seat up a few inches. That makes a some difference in the how much knee bend you have when sitting. But mostly it means my wife sees me sitting up much higher and she feels like she's sunken down (which she is compared to my seat) so there is a little psychology at play. Her view of the road is less than she's used to. Second, and more importantly, the foot-well for the passenger is just big enough for your foot but no more. If you're on a trip and you want to raise you're feet at all you have to first draw them back. You start to feel very cramped over a few hours.
My wife drives a Toyota Avalon which is one of the biggest (if not the top) sedans on the market in terms of seating room. So she's a bit spoiled by that car.
I'm in the market for a 4th gen because of this. I'm also looking to see if I can modify the way the passenger seat is mounted - raising it up somehow or retro-fitting in a driver-side seat.

BTW - the seating for the rear passengers is terrible. The front seats sit so low that again the toe space for a rear passenger is negligible. And the rear legroom is the worst - this was something they fixed in the 4th gen by moving the rear seats back a ways. Ideally , I like what Chevy did on the Equinox, the rear bench is on a track so you can slide it back and forth (similar to some minivan seating). My long-legged 20-year-old daughter finds the rear seat too uncomfortable for any trip beyond an hour.

As much as I love the way the 3rd gen drives and looks, I wish I'd bought a 4th gen.

·
Registered
2011 OB 3.6R Ltd
321 Posts
back seat room in the 2010 is amazeing.
No kidding! When my sister-in-law took the driver's seat, her small frame necessitated her to scoot the driver's seat forward. I sat in the back seat behind the driver's seat... wow! I felt like I was flying first class and had a LOT of leg room. Kept looking for the recliner leg rest. :D I should have thought about the barcalounger trick to flatten the front passenger's seat and sit in the seat behind the front passenger's seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts