Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just barely out of warranty and apparently the chain inside the CVT transmission has just fallen apart. My Subaru dealer is telling me that is must have been how I was driving the car, and there's nothing they can do except replace it for $8800.

PLEASE, anyone with any knowledge of this type of scenario... I would love to keep my car, please send any info pertaining to 2010 CVT problems. We are working with an attorney and with Subaru directly now, but could use any links the members of this forum may know of...

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If you are already working with an attorney & SOA, you probably don't want to be talking about it on the internet. You don't want to screw up any chance of corporate goodwill or legal claim with them.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
This is reason #1 I popped for the 7yr/100k/$0ded warranty. Your situation stinks. $9k is a big pill to swallow especially if it's not paid for. I can envision in 2015-16 when a lot of Gen 4's are paid off being dumped cheap or for parts if the tranny's go out. $9k is a pretty good down payment on a new one, although I don't know if anyone would buy another after a hit like that. I wonder if there will ever be rebuilt units available?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
I am just barely out of warranty and apparently the chain inside the CVT transmission has just fallen apart. My Subaru dealer is telling me that is must have been how I was driving the car, and there's nothing they can do except replace it for $8800.

PLEASE, anyone with any knowledge of this type of scenario... I would love to keep my car, please send any info pertaining to 2010 CVT problems. We are working with an attorney and with Subaru directly now, but could use any links the members of this forum may know of...

Thanks in advance for any advice
Being an inquiring owner of a CVT-equipped 2010 model, how many miles were on the car and are you a harsh driver (lots of accelerating/stopping)?

Depending on the mileage, if it's just barely out of warranty, perhaps there is a potential argument regarding the odometer? The odometer reading changes slightly with the circumference of the tires as they wear and might be reading slightly higher than it should be. It might not be a sound argument or a path to consider unless it was documented early in the life of the car since it's kind of hard to show on a car that doesn't move.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
are you a harsh driver (lots of accelerating/stopping)?
I would reckon the OP won't be able to answer this without incriminating himself.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
I would reckon the OP won't be able to answer this without incriminating himself.
Righteo. I guess what I want to know is if there is anything specific that Subaru or the dealership might have indicated as the potential cause of the problem beyond just "must be how you drove the car" so I can avoid it myself if that is the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

Subaru is going to do the right thing, not sure I should be giving details, but I will say they were agreeable to work with us and we are happy with the resolution...

To answer earlier questions, the car has just a little over 65,000 miles on it.

When they referred to "how you drove it," their clarification was that they suspected what might cause the chain to fall apart in the manner it did was by someone continually failing to come to a complete stop while in reverse, before putting the car into drive. This appeared to be speculation on their part and it is not how I drive.

Might have just been a lemon... but it will be fixed and I am happy to be able to keep driving it despite the trauma!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
UPDATE:

To answer earlier questions, the car has just a little over 65,000 miles on it.

When they referred to "how you drove it," their clarification was that they suspected what might cause the chain to fall apart in the manner it did was by someone continually failing to come to a complete stop while in reverse, before putting the car into drive. This appeared to be speculation on their part and it is not how I drive.

Might have just been a lemon... but it will be fixed and I am happy to be able to keep driving it despite the trauma!
I guess they have to replace the whole tranny seeing as the belt is not a replaceable part and probably tore everything up when it came apart.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Glad they're doing the right thing... My car is coming up on 54k miles, but the previous owner put on 52k of them... Hopefully he (or she) came to a complete stop after being in reverse ever time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts