Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Subaru Outback 2002 . The fuse #5 10 amp keeps blowing out for the taillights. Every time I put in a fuse it blows. I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be.
I also unplugged the light that I thought was the problem and it still blew.

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew.
Was the Parking Lights switch on the top of the steering column (between the steering wheel and the instrument panel) Off or On? (I suspect it was set to On.)

A very common problem with that generation is bad tail light bulbs at the rear. The car has four type 1157 bulbs across the back, one each in the outer corner light assemblies, and two in the housing on the hatch below the rear window.

It's not uncommon for the contacts on the base of those bulbs to flatten and either contact each other, or contact the metal base. In the latter case, if power is applied to the bulb, it shorts to ground and blows the fuse.

Here's a photo of some bulbs with the flattened contacts (from https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/i-have-a-very-perplexing-electrical-issue.332137/)

Remove all four bulbs in your car. Inspect them for this problem. Also inspect the sockets for damaged contacts or conductive paths from them to the edge, or any other sign of damage, such as overheating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the Parking Lights switch on the top of the steering column (between the steering wheel and the instrument panel) Off or On? (I suspect it was set to On.)

A very common problem with that generation is bad tail light bulbs at the rear. The car has four type 1157 bulbs across the back, one each in the outer corner light assemblies, and two in the housing on the hatch below the rear window.

It's not uncommon for the contacts on the base of those bulbs to flatten and either contact each other, or contact the metal base. In the latter case, if power is applied to the bulb, it shorts to ground and blows the fuse.

Here's a photo of some bulbs with the flattened contacts (from https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/i-have-a-very-perplexing-electrical-issue.332137/)

View attachment 470915

Remove all four bulbs in your car. Inspect them for this problem. Also inspect the sockets for damaged contacts or conductive paths from them to the edge, or any other sign of damage, such as overheating.
Thank you. My dad got them to turn on somehow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts