Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the owners manual it appears only 1 phone can be connected via Bluetooth. I'm assuming this means at the same time which is ok. Our '13 is used by myself and my wife. Can we set both phones to connect automatically depending on which phone we choose?

Thanks

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
Reading the owners manual it appears only 1 phone can be connected via Bluetooth. I'm assuming this means at the same time which is ok. Our '13 is used by myself and my wife. Can we set both phones to connect automatically depending on which phone we choose?

Thanks
Dealer rep tells me I can pair both of our phones (and both iPads) but the car will pick up the first phone it sees. As of this post, I am too lazy to either read the manual or test his advice. However, I would urge you to consider whether the manual is telling you it can only connect to one device at a time rather than limiting you to just one phone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's very likely that the limitation is one at a time. That's true of almost any kind of bluetooth connection, i.e. one keyboard, one mouse, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer rep tells me I can pair both of our phones (and both iPads) but the car will pick up the first phone it sees. As of this post, I am too lazy to either read the manual or test his advice. However, I would urge you to consider whether the manual is telling you it can only connect to one device at a time rather than limiting you to just one phone.
Well like you I have yet to try 2, my assumtion is the 2 phones can be paired. Yet the manual isn't very clear.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
quick answer ...YES
don;t ask me how... Took me awhile to figure this out and I really have no clues NOW how to do it....sorry

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
I think think the answer is more than one, and there was 1 or more threads on it. Sorry I don't have time to do the search this morning, but it is here in 4th gen...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes, I have two android phones paired to my 2012 (If you have Premium or Limited then you have the same radio/bluetooth as 2012).

HOWEVER....if I start the car in the garage and the primary phone is in the house (nearby) while the secondary phone is near me (in my pocket) the system will pair the Primary phone. Then when I drive away from my house and it loses the first phone it will NOT pickup the second phone until I restart the car with the primary phone out of range. Kind of annoying, but it does work.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
OP, you can pair numerous phones to your car but only one can be active at a time.

Then when I drive away from my house and it loses the first phone it will NOT pickup the second phone until I restart the car with the primary phone out of range. Kind of annoying, but it does work.
You don't have to restart your car... Just use the voice commands while you're driving.

Press voice button
say "Setup"
say "Phone Setup"
say "Select Phone"

And then choose your phone, confirm and cancel out.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Yes, I have two android phones paired to my 2012 (If you have Premium or Limited then you have the same radio/bluetooth as 2012).

HOWEVER....if I start the car in the garage and the primary phone is in the house (nearby) while the secondary phone is near me (in my pocket) the system will pair the Primary phone. Then when I drive away from my house and it loses the first phone it will NOT pickup the second phone until I restart the car with the primary phone out of range. Kind of annoying, but it does work.
I have two phones paired, but I can only manually select one. If it is on my wife's phone, I have to select mine manually to make it work, and vice versa.

An I missing something? Is there a way to make it select whichever pre paired phone is available, regardless?

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
I have two phones paired, but I can only manually select one. If it is on my wife's phone, I have to select mine manually to make it work, and vice versa.

An I missing something? Is there a way to make it select whichever pre paired phone is available, regardless?
Our radio pairs automatically whichever phone is there. If my wife is driving the car it pairs with her phone. If I'm driving it then it pairs with mine.

If both phones are in the car it seems to be a crap shoot which one connects- it doesn't necessarily choose the last one that was connected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts