Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to the forums but earlier today my 2004 subaru outback with about 150k miles on it turned on me for the worse, I was driving through oregon going about 50 mph and when it started shifting gears it started making a clunking sound only at about 50 mph, so as I continued on using cruise knowing something was wrong with my gears or something the check engine light just started flashing and the cruise control light started flashing. Now when I drive it very slow and carefully the check engine light will stay on but not flash. when trying to to exceed 50 mph it is impossible the car just lugs. I know I shouldn't be driving it but I was on vacation in Idaho going to Reno to see the family for christmas but had to stop. anyone have any ideas? Basically now I have to drive carefully switching from drive,1,2,3 to get the check engine light to stop flashing and the car to run smoothly, if the check engine light is flashing the car will be making a clunky noise causing it to not accelerate but once it shifts to another gear it sometimes moves smoothly

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Stop somewhere and get the codes downloaded from the diagnostic port. Lots of auto parts stores will do this for free.

Good time to check fluid level & condition throughout the engine bay...

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Sounds like you might be in "limp home mode."

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
H4 ? - was the timing belt changed on time? cold be slipped timing.

but yeah, getting codes read, cleared, post codes here and monitor if codes return and which ones they arr can be very helpful.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
did he suggest a solution?

could be something as simple as needing new plugs or plugwires (don't use cheap parts here, NGK and OEM wires if at all possible) wires get old and start arcing leading to misfiring.

could be carbon build up or something more serious needing a compression or leakdown test to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts