Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back in 1999 i bought a 91 Legacy wagon, her name is Karen.. I have put 300 thousand miles on her and never did a thing but put tires and batteries and a clutch in her. She's been incredibly loyal and trustworthy for decades and she still is.

I'm shopping for a new wagon and i do not know WTF I'm doing, what to look for or what to avoid, She's got to be a wagon, has to have a manual trans and, well, some decent acceleration. I do not know if i should look at 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder turbo outbacks or earlier or later and i do not know what models come with which engines or which engines are the most desirable for a 05 to 08 Outback. I do not know what models are plane Jane cars or which cars are the premium models nor do i completely understand what 'generation' of car a 05 to 08 outback is.

I'm a huge Subi fan, I've just been uninvolved in Subi evolution for decades because Karen has been so good to me for so long. Can somebody or some somebodies please educate me and or point me to the right threads and or web sites to learn as much as i can before i start shopping?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
AVOID all turbos. = maint. and labor intensive, if for sale may explode on the side of the road on the way home. (like buy $7000 worth of car, and in 10 miles, it costs $5000 more).

2005-2009 is the US / canadain spec years.

six cylinders although have less head gasket problems, may have them if for sale, (fix is $1500 worth of japanese imported used engine).

the 5 speed automatic is great in six cylinder cars, but no manuals were made from the factory. ...rare, rare, is a six with a manual from someone cobbling it together. (and reflashing the engine computer to be nice and stop looking for automatic).

so that leaves you with 2005-2009 H4 EJ253 plain jane manuals. may leak oil at some point from their head gaskets.
...if you want some more room for more money a rare 2010-12 H4 manual with the same EJ253 engine, probably not a oil leaker though.
(cars got bigger in that year, more rear legroom vs. any 1990-09 )

______

that said, if you can live without the third pedal, you can hand shift a subaru automatic all day long,...I know I do,..very easy on the gated shifter of a 2000-2004, or the later 2005-2009.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
and congrats on having a 1990-94 legacy. you are the envy of many here with one of those early beautiful legacys.:nerd:

= if the timing belt blows, so what you put another on
= (you got non-interfernece engine in those years,...and why subaru and everyone else ditched that in is beyond me).

hope you can keep it for another 300,000 more miles. 0:)

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Sadly, you'll never have anything as low maintenance as what you've had.

H6 is automatics only, so if it's gotta be manual that's out unless you wanna deal with swapping a trans, etc, diff, wiring, etc.
Turbo is no good if low service costs are a thing you like. Are they a blast? Very much. Are they costly? Oh yeah.

Timing belts are a thing you need to do every 100K miles OR 105 months, as all modern Subaru engines are interference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts