Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you for reading my post. I have decided to ask you experienced towers what the best travel trailer would be.
I want to be able to tow something comfortably without bogging down and damaging my 2015 Subaru Legacy's transmission, radiator or all wheel drive.
Can anyone help? I've been reading through the posts and got excited at the reservoir of intelligent experienced Subaru owners.
I plan to go RVing when I retire next year and visit the national parks and relatives. The most cost effective approach is to add a trailer
to the vehicle I already own and love. I am single and only need a bathroom and bed for one person. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Only thing you can pull would be a teardrop. And a light one at that. Your towing capacity is not that high.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I can't think of a single true travel trailer light enough to pull with a Legacy.

Have a look at the Altos- they are pop up/tear drop style but contain travel-trailer style amenities while being light enough to haul with a Legacy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you get what you needed? I pull a tab s tear drop trailer. it has a kitchen, shower and toilet and weighs 1800 lbs. with battery and propane. It is supper aerodynamic. I have a 2009 outback with 45000 miles. It was the last year with the standard auto transmission. On flat ground I got 18 mpg at 60mph. I plan on putting on a trans cooler. Try and keep most of the weight in the car when pulling and take it easy. The Nu Camp Tab trailer is fantastick. Lighter than a lot of pop ups which are crappy.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
Hello all and thank you for reading my post. I have decided to ask you experienced towers what the best travel trailer would be.
I want to be able to tow something comfortably without bogging down and damaging my 2015 Subaru Legacy's transmission, radiator or all wheel drive.
Can anyone help? I've been reading through the posts and got excited at the reservoir of intelligent experienced Subaru owners.
I plan to go RVing when I retire next year and visit the national parks and relatives. The most cost effective approach is to add a trailer
to the vehicle I already own and love. I am single and only need a bathroom and bed for one person. Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm assuming you have the 4 cyl.?

You might want to consider looking at some of the tag alongs the motorcycle folks use. Not that much luxury but beats sleeping in a tent!

I have been considering a teardrop but I'm concerned I could have problems in the mountains. So, I'm giving much consideration in doing an all aluminum frame and the lightest weight materials I can find/afford.

Good luck and happy camping!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
instead of tryiing buy a trailer, and outfiting your legacy (4 or 6 cylinder) for towing it,

you might just trade your legacy for a 2016-present outback wagon and plan to sleep inside it.

then nothing to tow, or back up,...or squeeze around gas pumps. (no hitch, no added cooling,...and no worry about braking for emergency stops either).

some people get a thing like a tent that unfolds fast to empty their wagon into to make more room for sleeping inside vs. getting a roof top box.

but we have plenty of threads about the cheapness of sleeping inside a wagon.

______

I would recommend a 2016 and newer, so as to get past the problematic years of the FB25B, and CVT and their 100,000 mile limit on extened warranty.
(I guess after 100,000 miles subaru does not care if the 2010-15 CVT cars implode their transmissions, or burn the 2013-15 FB25B 2.5 engines up)

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
instead of tryiing buy a trailer, and outfiting your legacy (4 or 6 cylinder) for towing it,

you might just trade your legacy for a 2016-present outback wagon and plan to sleep inside it.

then nothing to tow, or back up,...or squeeze around gas pumps. (no hitch, no added cooling,...and no worry about braking for emergency stops either).

some people get a thing like a tent that unfolds fast to empty their wagon into to make more room for sleeping inside vs. getting a roof top box.

but we have plenty of threads about the cheapness of sleeping inside a wagon.

______

I would recommend a 2016 and newer, so as to get past the problematic years of the FB25B, and CVT and their 100,000 mile limit on extened warranty.
(I guess after 100,000 miles subaru does not care if the 2010-15 CVT cars implode their transmissions, or burn the 2013-15 FB25B 2.5 engines up)

Look on the General - Outback unpaved section. There's a guy who's got his OB set up for camping and for one person, it's pretty cool. No bathroom though. But it is inspiring! I'm jealous!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts