Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm moving my post from the Tires sub-forum to see if I have better luck here. Maybe I'm asking too much too soon, being a newbie here:confused: Anyway, thank you for any input you might have.

I should have my 3.6R Limited OB by end of November and I’m looking to change the stock wheels/tires for a winter combo. I’ve looked at several treads/posts on this topic on the forum over the last week and I now have a pretty good idea of what I want, but I still have some questions and I'm looking for some advice to finalize my pick.

I’d like to use a 215/65 17 tire (Bridgestone WS70) for a bit narrower footprint and taller sidewall/tire than the stock size. Theoretically, this tire size is only 10 mm longer than that of the stock tire, or +5 mm all around, so I shouldn't have any problems with rubbing, odometer reading, etc.

The wheels is where I'm looking for advice/opinions. I think the ideal rim width for this tire size (and for winter use) should be 17 x 6.5, but I'm not sure. Ideally, I'm looking for alloy wheels in that size, light (I know this is relative; let’s say under 20lb), painted black and priced up to $150 ea. Below is what I’ve found so far.

Steel, 17 x 6.5 (black)
Pros: Best width for a 215 width tire? Really cheap @ $65 ea.
Cons: On the heavy side (TR estimation is 22-24 lbs). Not very good looking J

Kosei K4R, 17 x 7(light grey)
Pros: VERY light (14 lb). I love the look.
Cons: They don’t come in black, but I could paint them with Plastidip. Pricey @ $199 ea.

Motegi MR119, 17 x 7 (black)
Pros: Light (19.4lb). Decently priced @ $143 ea.
Cons: They have a LOT of spokes (15), close together. Difficult/laborious to clean. Not as good looking for me (I like better 6 to 10 spokes).

These are my questions:
- Do you know of any alloy wheel in 17 x 6.5?
- Any other mate black alloy wheel in 17 x 7 that I should look at? (in the $100-150 price range)
- Does anyone know the weight of the stock 17” rims in the 3.6R Limited?
- Can I re-use the TMPS sensors of the stock wheels on new wheels? I’m planning to buy wheels & tires from TireRack or tirebuyer.com (or another place like that) and have them delivered to a local installer. However, not sure if the sensors have to be installed at the time of mounting the tires. In that case, I either have to buy a set of sensors from TR or not use sensors, since it will cost a lot to have the installer take these out from the stock wheels and re-mount them in the new wheels.

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,120 Posts
Any 17" Subaru wheel with the 5x100 bolt pattern (see also: not a WRX STI or Tribeca) will fit fine. You may be able to find a decent set of used wheels on Craigslist.

TPMS are not absolutely required...if you don't mind the warning light and can remember to check your tire PSI like you did in the old days.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unless you love the stock rims, why not get new 3 season rims and use your stock rims for winter since it looks like you're willing to spend some money and care about appearance?

Personally, I wouldn't buy new alloy rims and focus on looks if they're just going to see the abuses of winter. Then again, I'm more about practical functionality than aesthetics for rims at any time of year (a.k.a cheap). Used rims on ebay or on the forums are the way to go in my opinion -- especially if you can get local pickup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll chime in on some of the questions not addressed yet.
I have 17x7 sport edition A7 in black and like them for my winter setup with Goodyear WRT ice tires.

The TPMS sensors can be reused, but if you are buying an already mounted and balanced tire and wheel package, the local shop would have to dismount your all seasons from the stock subaru wheels and dismount the winter package to swap the sensors (+$ for a gasket and valve stem rebuild kit each time they are removed from a wheel) and then remount everything. Seems like a lot of effort (and $$) to do that. As suggested before, I run without TPMS sensors in the winter and it is amazing how fast you start to ignore that little yellow light.

If you would like to have the sensors, then I would suggest buying them as part of your wheel and tire package and that way they are installed already. You will have to pay a separate fee (maybe not depending on our installer you drop ship to) to have the car programmed to recognize the new sensors. Also note that once winter is over and you put your OEM wheels and tires back on the car, you are going to have the car reprogrammed to recognize the oem sensors. The subi can only store one set of TPMS sensor IDs, so if you have two sets of wheels with two sets of sensors, you have to reprogram the car each time you put the other set on.

You could search the forums for "Orange TPMS sensors" and look at the threads about TPMS that you could clone off your OEM ones, but results with these have been a mixed-bag and I thought I recently read a thread that the company went bust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input. I wont be putting TMPS sensors in the wheels.

I like this wheel: Motegi MR2748 and by the specs below it should work with the car. However, TireRack and another site tell me is not compatible with the OB '13. Does anyone know why?

Thanks!

Specs:
17 x 7 5 x 100
Offset: +40 mm
Hub bore: 72.6 mm

·
Registered
718 Posts
^ That offset's kind of low, and don't Subarus have 56mm hubs (or something like that)?

I like statueim's idea about using the OEM wheels for winter and getting something better for the other three seasons. HPH

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ That offset's kind of low, and don't Subarus have 56mm hubs (or something like that)?

I like statueim's idea about using the OEM wheels for winter and getting something better for the other three seasons. HPH
Yes, the OEM wheels have a hub bore of 56.1mm. Pretty much all after market wheels have bigger hub bores (around 70mm+), so they can fit a wide range of cars. This should be a problem as most online retailers include hub rings of the appropriate measure to fill the gap between the wheel and the hub.

As for the relatively low offset, I also noticed that, but according to this wheel/tire size calculator this package would stick out by 3 mm vs. the OEM setup, which should not be a problem.

In any case, I'm starting to like the idea of using the OEM's rims for the winter package, mostly because I have to buy two bike carriers for the roof and I'm stretched out already. The other option I'm considering now is to buy the winter tires with steel rings so I can sell better/easier the stock wheels/tires. I just don't like the design of the new OEM wheels :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts