Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive googled and searched and i cant figure where to start. the light came on on a trip about 100miles and turned off b4 i could check it. now its on and i got the p0420 code and im gettin possible cat converter possible one of the 02 sensors so i dont want to get somthin i dont need. i also heard somthing about getting a new cat and having somthing flashed whatever that means please help if u have any input that might help. oh yea the car is a 96 w about 155000 miles and im getting sensored to death it seams every 5000 miles now is another sensor the last was a 200 dollar speed sensor but i guess they are due to go out but **** how many can there be. anywas please any input greatly appreciated

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
your best solution is to replace the front o2 sensor with one from subaru or a VERY HIGH QUALITY alternative. (cheap after market o2 sensors or ones that need to be ''wired'' or ''soldered'' in are a risk.) the front o2 sensor controls the fuel air ratio, you want it working really really well.

then see what happens.

you alos need to check for exhaust leaks.

there are also some who think that a new clean PCV valve will help eliminate the code. i do not know if that will help or not. but they are pretty cheap to replace if you have not done it recently.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
retail at the dealer they are $140 or more.
online cheaper. www.subarupartsforyou.com
my local dealer sold me one and matched the online price quote i had in my hand.
i told him i was going to buy the part and i would like to buy it from him, but i would go to the web for a much better price. he said ok.

high quality sensor from the parts store are around $100+, online less?? RockAuto Auto Parts
you can get cheaper ones, but they may not solve the problem.

i think the factory part was made by denso, but i'm not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts