Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a traffic cone and it broke the plastic under the car. Any idea what is broken and how much it may cost to repair?

Broken part (passenger side):

Driver's side, not broken, for comparison:

Broken side detail:

Another look:

Short video:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...3-B017-035810E167F2-8998-000006B83F5BC4A6.mp4

If you have advice, experience, part numbers, costs or just kind words, I will find it all helpful.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
822 Posts
Hit a traffic cone and it broke the plastic under the car. Any idea what is broken and how much it may cost to repair?

Broken part (passenger side):

Driver's side, not broken, for comparison:

Broken side detail:

Another look:

Short video:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...3-B017-035810E167F2-8998-000006B83F5BC4A6.mp4

If you have advice, experience, part numbers, costs or just kind words, I will find it all helpful.

Thanks for reading!
Looks like your 3.6 filter is fine. All I see is the plastic gravel protector is broken that connects with few phillips and push pin connectors. Looks pretty minor. That thing is pristine otherwise. If you don't want to replace the whole piece (one piece R to L) then find a piece of plastic (junkyard or dealership) use some snips to cut a patch and then clamp and glue it to bring it back together.

If you didn't loose a chunk of plastic and the broken pieces fit back together just clamp and JB/Gorilla/Some Polyethylene/Vinyl? compatible adhesive it. I can't tell if the break lines up. Good luck!

If you aren't too worried you could also just tear the triangular orphaned chunk off if the rest of the protector is still tied in to be viable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like just a dust cover. I don't have a 3.6, so not sure if that cover needs to be removed to do the oil change anyway. If so, you may just be able to buy the part from the dealer (or even a junk yard) and replace it easilly or have the dealer do it on the next service. I broke something similar on a nissan many years ago and got the part from a junk yard for $10. I figure a dealer shouldn't cost more than $60. In fact, if you ask nicely your dealer may just replace it under warrenty. Mine did that for a broken power seat switch that was totally our fault.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Looks like your 3.6 filter is fine. All I see is the plastic gravel protector is broken that connects with few phillips and push pin connectors. Looks pretty minor. That thing is pristine otherwise. If you don't want to replace the whole piece (one piece R to L) then find a piece of plastic (junkyard or dealership) use some snips to cut a patch and then clamp and glue it to bring it back together.

If you didn't loose a chunk of plastic and the broken pieces fit back together just clamp and JB/Gorilla/Some Polyethylene/Vinyl? compatible adhesive it. I can't tell if the break lines up. Good luck!
Some of the best plastics flexible glue I've come across is called G-Flex Epoxy. As an example they cut a plastic Kayak in half with a skill saw. Then G-flex epoxied it back together and then proceeded to torture test it. Exceptional flex and strength qualities with the G-flex epoxy. I keep some around all the time for various fixes.

It looks like the bottom trailing edge of the front bumper was broken off which case I wouldn't worry about it given from the looks of it none of the pop pins were damaged or removed just the very back edge of the ABS plastic bumper under the car. If thats the case the ABS bumper is all one piece and not cheap to replace and given the damage is very very minor and only to the very last bit of the trailing edge of the bumper cover I would just make sure all the pins and screws holding the bumper are intact and leave it.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
If its the plastic engine pan I recall when I replaced mine on the 2001 took me about 5 minutes to remove the old one and replace with the new one ordered from an online subaru parts dealer. Was like $35. As I said hard to tell based on the photos being too close can't tell if its the bumper or the engine pan in that pict

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll post a few more pics later to show the full extent of the damage.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Ah... you broke the mostly worthless plastic undertray. Easy to replace. Get one of these:

It goes on like this:

and the next traffic cone you hit gets annihilated. End of problem!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
it's benign and useless, i remove them and throw them away. they're annoying with age, get brittle, crack, get in the way. very few older ones still have them around here, I consider it rare when I see one 10 years old or so that still has it.

but if you want it just order it from Subaru and install it, not a big deal, it's just a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The plastic shield does provide some light protection stopping some road debri or small branches from reaching the "tender" parts of the OB. Just buy a new replacement part and DIY. Upgrades would be the metal skid plate for bashing rocks and destroying cones.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,042 Posts
Go with Reddoak's recommendation. I have one too, rock's and other road debris are no longer an issue. That plastic OEM piece is useless as protection as you found out.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,969 Posts
Ah... you broke the mostly worthless plastic undertray. Easy to replace. Get one of these:

It goes on like this:

and the next traffic you hit gets annihilated. End of problem!
I have not put one on my OB yet but I put one of these on my TDI....the full metal jacket panzerplate...aFter breaking two plastic bottom pans that were destroyed by the low clearance and winter snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts