Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5 auto, 130K miles and counting
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -
I'm a new member of this forum, and I couldn't find what I was looking for with the search feature.
My fiance has a 2007 Outback wagon with the 2.5 auto, and about 130K miles. It's got what I think is a pretty significant engine oil leak, about 2 quarts every 3K miles or so. when I get under it, the power steering mechanism is very oily, (right next to the front axles) but I can't locate the leak exactly. My first thought was that it's power steering fluid, but the reservoir is at the full line, where it was when I changed the oil in the car about 3K miles ago. The car was leaking prior to this, but I don't know how much, exactly, since I just recently started taking care of maintenance on it.
I did some cleanup and then drove it around to see if I could locate the leak, but no dice so far. The thing doesn't drip a whole lot, just a drop or two each night, as far as I can tell. I guess it must be something that leaks only when the engine is running? I'm thinking it's maybe a main seal, but I'd like to gather more knowledge before I do anything! Is there a common place I should look? Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Marvin:confused:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,501 Posts
Valve cover seals
Oil Filter not tightened enough or leaking seal due to bad seal
Doubtful its a rear main seal
If its dripping down around the steering rack, its either being blown back while driving or leaking from the valve covers.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Scary question time. When was the timing belt changed, and what was changed along with it.

Replace your PCV valve as that can cause oil consumption

Next clean the engine under the car. Go to a do it yourself car wash and clean it good do it yourself car wash and engine cleaner. Clean under the car. Drive car so engine dries off then park the car and put a flattened card board box under the car. Idle and rev the car a bit while parked then let it sit parked. The next day look at the cardboard and see where the drips are coming from over the stains.

This sounds like it is either a main seal or the oil pump leaking as my first blind guess.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
In a shop they have dye that lights up bright green in a black light. Easiest way to find leaks.

If you're not up for that nippers suggestion is best.

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
The suggestions made by others so far are all very good possibilities that are not uncommon. An additional possibility is the Variable Valve Lift solenoids and/or pressure sensor switches. There's a set on each head -- the left side at the upper front, and the right side at the upper rear. (See the photos in this thread.)

There are posts here about leaking at these components. I think in many if not most cases, the pressure switch develops leaks and has to be replaced. The right side also has the VVL oil temperature sensor in the same area as the solenoid and switch that could develop a leak.

Finally, the engine oil pressure switch has been known to develop leaks in earlier models. It's located on top of the block, more or less underneath the alternator. Here's a thread from an earlier mode that has some photos.

In all these cases the leak site would high up or on top of the engine whereas some of the others that have been mentioned might tend to show up lower down on the sides of the engine, or only on the bottom.

·
Registered
2005 Outback/2015 outback 2.5
165 Posts
Hope this is not the case BUT my 2005 outback leaked oil on the front and back lower corner at the head gasket. When I removed the heads I noticed that is where the oil return ports are. My gaskets were bad at both lower corners. Clean the area very well and inspect after driving. If leak is at the from it will be blown back. AFAIK oil leaks are common on these years at the head gasket. Mine started leaking at 70k miles but at 105k it was leaking good....hope this is not your case

1 - 6 of 6 Posts