Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
404 Posts
I expanded the CPO warrant on my '12, back in '14 when I bought her. In the past, the EW has saved my bacon, but that was with Ford & GM vehicles, and at 'cost' it was $700 to make it bumper-to-bumper for the 7/100 warranty, from the usual 7/100 power-train only that comes as part of the CPO.

Guess what, NEVER used it. I had one(1) mechanical issue, the starter would zing in cold weather, which they couldn't duplicate and refused to replace. (They need to see and hear it do it). Given the Gold Plan had a $100 deductible, and I could buy a brand new (not reman) starter for $107, including tax/shipping, I just bought a starter and installed it myself. Other than that, I've only performed the maintenance on my '12 Outback.

Not saying you'll not have a failure, as mine is a 2012 with the robust 3.6R / 5EAT combination, and not a CVT and Turbo, however, $2000 is a whole lot of money for an extended warranty. Subaru has proactively increased the CVT warranty on models at least through 2017 now, as well as certain components that proved to have issues. If there's a weak spot in the newer models, I'd suspect they'll do the same. - My one concern with the '20 models would be the new 11 inch infotainment, which has a lot of functions integrated, but other than that, wouldn't expect a major issue, and those issues are likely to be taken care of prior to the end of the 3/36 factory warranty period.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,365 Posts
Yes i do, and its only $20 more per month than not. And its also a law to have it when vehicle is financed. Also, a wreck is in the 10s of thousands where a maintence is a few hundred. Did you not know this? Full coverage is mainly for the idiot driver that blows red lights and wreckless driving, what does this have to do w/ warranty again????? Are we going to discuss Home Insurance next??
You seem to have looked past my point that it is simply insurance against risk like any other similar coverage. It isn't a ripoff, it isn't just a money grab by the dealers. It is up to the individual to decide what level of risk they want to accept. Insurance of any type always favors the seller. If it didn't they wouldn't be selling it. If the decision of whether to buy any insurance was always made just on the bottom line of the overall picture nobody would buy it at all.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I can't say I have ever seen a law that requires this. Certainly lenders make it a requirement as a part of lending terms but are there really places that have to pass a law requiring it? Sad.
might depend on state. I know if I finance a car, I have to carry full insurance (collision). I think that's a requirement of the lien holder though (not a state law). Costs you over time to finance, and then you pay more in insurance you might not otherwise purchase.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
might depend on state. I know if I finance a car, I have to carry full insurance (collision). I think that's a requirement of the lien holder though (not a state law). Costs you over time to finance, and then you pay more in insurance you might not otherwise purchase.
Yeah, I won't say there aren't laws like that somewhere, but I've only seen it as something the lenders themselves require. If I stick to my plan hopefully I won't ever borrow money for a car again. I'm tired of payments. I haven't even had that plan for a month yet though so I don't know how long it will last. 😄

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also a person should have GAP insurance with a car loan with a minimum dp.....or else you could end up upside down on your loan.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Also a person should have GAP insurance with a car loan with a minimum dp.....or else you could end up upside down on your loan.
Even better advice would be that anyone who needs gap insurance probably shouldn't be borrowing money to buy a car, but that is a different topic. 😄

And yes, I have been there and done that and have also paid for gap insurance in the past. I also just made my last payment on a leased vehicle so I'm not trying to pretend I am all superior in financial matters.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Even better advice would be that anyone who needs gap insurance probably shouldn't be borrowing money to buy a car, but that is a different topic. 😄

And yes, I have been there and done that and have also paid for gap insurance in the past. I also just made my last payment on a leased vehicle so I'm not trying to pretend I am all superior in financial matters.
Human nature (especially young humans) being what it is....They want a vehicle that they cannot afford and are willing to pile on that debt for the newest new toy...Car manufacturers bank on that.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts